Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 2002 Duramax, have not had any problems with it to date but lately the truck has been belching black smoke under heavy acceleration. Doesn't matter if the terrain is flat, up or down hill and this is happening without the truck being loaded. This truck has zero performance mods, bone stock! My question is, is this normal or is there something wrong? The truck seeems to been running as best I can tell, mileage has dropped a little. I know that diesel engines smoke but I haven't seen this from very many Duramaxs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could be an injector starting to stick open. If you know someone with a Predator, they could test the balance rates and see if you have one out of whack.

Jess

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are close to MK Smith Chevrolet in Chino I would recommend them. Great sevice and the mechanic that worked on mine is also a D-max owner. Email me off line and I can get more info if you like.

Edited by: Kent Tuttle

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Stock trucks do not smoke like that. With my minor mods... propane/air filter/straight pipe, I only get mild puffs.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hoot said:
Stock trucks do not smoke like that
I didn’t think so.
DOLIVER said:
Check your air filter lately? Not enough air = lots of smoke
Well the SES light came on and they took a look at it Saturday morning. Said the SES light was caused by a broken sensor on top of the engine, the tech guy did say it had something to do with the intake. They are going to replace the sensor this afternoon but I may have them check to see if any of the injectors are bad while they have the truck.. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen 4 times in 30 mile range, but hasn't happened since. It had 3300 miles on engine when happened. Before it blew smoke it had a knock in the engine like a big ping. Had dealer check and they came up with nothing. I am having other problems with my truck though. AC not cooling down good, knock in front end, leak under dash. Not happy right now. Changed AC compressor, front shock pads, turned right front brake rotor. Truck at dealer now. I think they have it more than I do.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

So the dealer called me and here's the skinny. Apparently a few of the injectors need to be replaced but the injectors are on National Backorder. They put the truck back together and said they will call when they get the injectors in. Also had the fuel filter replaced and a few other minor things taken care of, all under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts