Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Suresky truck center to buy a fisher x blade plow and he would not install one on my 2002 2500 with D-max. He told me that the weight of the x-blade(787lbs) exceeded the weight limit GM has put on the front end of the 2500 with D-max. If he put the xblade on my truck it would void the warranty from GM but he could put the 8ftHD plow(707)lbs. I cant believe 80 lbs difference would make or break the warranty! On the other hand assuming this info is accurate Im glad i was told the hard truth about it because I had several other people willing to put an x blade and even a 1000 lb Blizzard 810 plow on my apparently weak front end.I have a year left on my warranty and am planning to extend.Can anyone confirm this info, if so talk to me!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Three plow dealers refuse to put an 8ft anything on my 2500 EC SB Duramax. I was told the plow makers won't warranty the plow and GM won't warranty the truck.
So either I take my chances, buy everything and do it myself or...........

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Kinda confused.....If they sell a GMC with the plow prep package how can they void a warranty for putting a plow on it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Plow Prep Package is not available with cc or Duramax . I have a k3500 w/ a 10ft dump bed. The weight ( w/ no cargo) on the front axle is 4400 lb. The axle weight rating is 4800 lbs.

11,400 gvw

9,200 lb. empty anything loaded needs to be on the back axle.

I have loaded thr truck to 14000 lbs. A little too muchEdited by: Duallyvette

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
mikemjmc,

What body style do you have?

You will find that with all brands... Ford Dodge and GM, most plow manufacturer spec few if any plows for the larger size truck.... eg. Ext Cab and Crew Cab... with a diesel engine. The larger body/frame along with the heavier diesel engine put it closer to Front Axle GVW.

Add passengers, salt and a spreader and it's over the front axle limit.

As an example I went to Westerns plow selection system and the only plow that came up for my truck (Crew Diesel) was a 7'6" Standard plow.

When I re-spec'd the same truck without the diesel just about all of the plows are available for it.

All has to do with front axle overloading. I bought mine cash and carry and installed it myself. I will not be transporting passengers or hauling a load of salt or using a salt spreader.

What you will find is there a loads of plow contractors putting plows on anything that moves.

It's all in what you feel comfortable with. Most importantly... know what you are doing!

If my truck goes in for service the only thing on it from the plow is the mounts and wiring. My truck is allowed to have that.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Duallyvette said:
Plow Prep Package is not available with cc or Duramax .

NOT TRUE!

I have a Dually GMC 3500 REG cab DURAMAX 2003 with the plow prep package.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my 04 2500 ecsb duramax has the plow prep

·
Registered
170 Posts
I stand corrected. I've heard everyone on the net complaining about not being able to find a plow dealer willing to install a plow on a diesel or CC.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I believe it has to do with the combination of the cab style and engine style.

From GM I believe you cant have a EC or CC with the LONG bed and a Diesel. But Short bed is ok.

At the Western Plow web site My truck EC 3500 Long bed needs 950 Lbs of ballast in the back of the bed to be able to get the plow to work. According to the web site.

Our trucks are close to the front axle weight rating with the Duramax's about 4400 lbs on a 4800 lb rated front end.

And remember a 700 or 800 lb plow just dosent sit on the front end it sits 2-3 feet in front of the axle. like a big breaker bar it has a lot of leverage. That's why you need some ballast BEHIND the rear axle to help.

And the Ford and Dodge's are no better with a diesel and EC CC style cab and 8' bed. Go to a plow web site and try diffrent combos on there plow recomendation build sheet program and they all suck

Bye Diesel Dragon

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Diesel Dragon... read five posts above

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2002 2500 HD extended cab short bed, D/A combination with a boss 7'-6" plow on it. I have the original window sticker with the plow prep package listed. The reason why most dealers won't install certain plows has everything to do with weight. My truck has a seating capacity of 6 people. Without 6 people, my weight is fine. But if I were to load it up with people it would exceed the weight limits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I HAVE A 2500HD/EC/SB/AD. I know its all about front end weight but the question is how big a plow can I put on this truck, whether I do it myself or have it installed. There doesnt seem to be a specific weight limit and there are alot of variables involved; I dont use a salter and I plow alone, what is the official weight limit GMC has put on my truck where if I exceed it I lose my warranty!According to diesal dragon anything over 400lbs would exceed the front end limit, why then does this plow dealer say he can put a plow weighing 707lbs but not plow weighing 787lbs. I know i have to counter the weight with rear ballast but what size plow(lbs) would void my warranty?My dealer cant awnser that question, after all its GMs call not a plow installer. Im willing to put an x blade on my truck, but will it void my warranty, that is the question! Mike

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You have to weigh your truck's front end the way you will be using it... before adding a plow.

If it weighs 4000lbs, you have 800lb's to work with but you still have to consider ballast. Some of that may/maynot transfer weight to the front. I don't know enough about that part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to order a 3500 srw reg cab with the diesel and the plow prep package and wasn't possible! Why would that be? Pick the big block and was a possibilty. As you know 2500 hd allows plow prep package. What could be the difference?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I tried ordering a Dmax/Ally Cab and Chassis 84" Cab to Axle. That was a no go. No VYU option available. It IS available on a 60" Cab to Axle truck. From what I was told it was from frame length causing too much weight put on the front axle. It was available on my 98 6.5, I wanted to order the same optioned truck...Nope.... still beating the junk out of this 6.5, still kicking. We plow with a 9 foot Meyers on the 6.5 C+C, And a 8 foot on the 2500HD 6.0. I never use ballast or any of that. I wait for the ballast after plowing when Im ready to sand my accts. NO sense beating up a truck even more by adding weight to it.

Meyers arent the heaviest plows out their, But these trucks really see some abuse. My first and only breakdown was the power steering pump on the HD the first storm this year.....I got a spare pump and spare alternator in the garage, And Im ready for the next breakdown If not, Ill just steal the parts of my Dmax and swap em over to the 6.0, minus the obvious

Bill.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Out of my owners manual...

"Adding a plow can damage your vehicle, and the repairs won't be covered by warranty"

In other words, your warranty is not void, it just will not cover damage due to overloading.

Also out of the owners manual....

"Q: What if I want to add heavier equipment to my vehicle?

A: You can add heavier equipment on the front of the vehicle if you compensate for it by carrying fewer passengers, less cargo, or by positioning cargo more towards the rear. This has the effect of reducing load on th efront. However, the front GAWR, rear GAWR and GVWR must never be exceeeded"

In other words, loading ballast has the effect of counterbalancing weight off of the front axle. The only real way to know for sure is by setting it up fully, then weight the front.

There is a calcualtion in the owners manual that takes into account how far in front the plow sticks out from the front axle (A) and your wheelbase (WB).

(Plow Weight x (A + WB))/WB

Example...

Plow weighs 700 lbs and sticks out 4 ft.

(700 x (4+10)/10 = 980lb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts