Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ride finally looks like a real truck now that my stock wheels and tires are sitting in my shed and I'm sporting a new set of 285s on chrome H2s. I'm temped to sell the OEM alum wheels (already have a guy who's interested) but I'm not sure if I'll need them for hauling my 32' 5vr around this summer - when I'm fully loaded all 4 of us (+2 dogs) with all of our stuff, full propane and 50gals of water we're about 500lbs away from the GVW max of the 2500HD. I never had any problems hauling all this weight last summer with the OEM wheels & tires - the truck just ate it all up - should I expect anything less from these H2s??

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Shouldn't be a big deal,the H2 wheels should have the same load cap. as your stockers, if not more.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The wheels will most likely be ok, But you will want to lookinto the tires and verify the load range on them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Plenty of folks have towed and pulled very heavy without a problem here for years with H2 rims. They are cast not forged, :blahblah: , it doesn't matter, no reported failures here. Someone even competes regularly on the pulling circuit using H2 rims +285's pulling the 40K sled with his modified truck, no problems yet. You'll be fine with the rims.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm in the same boat I want to switch to h2s an 285s or 315s an would like to hear from someone that tows with this setup, Do the tires squat with the weight of the trailer on it, My 5er is about 12000 30' long.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My ride finally looks like a real truck now that my stock wheels and tires are sitting in my shed and I'm sporting a new set of 285s on chrome H2s. I'm temped to sell the OEM alum wheels (already have a guy who's interested) but I'm not sure if I'll need them for hauling my 32' 5vr around this summer - when I'm fully loaded all 4 of us (+2 dogs) with all of our stuff, full propane and 50gals of water we're about 500lbs away from the GVW max of the 2500HD. I never had any problems hauling all this weight last summer with the OEM wheels & tires - the truck just ate it all up - should I expect anything less from these H2s??
how about a few pics of your new setup for those of us considering the same switch?
thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
RedSoxFan, do you forsee any issues with the new ride height of the truck when pulling your 5ver? Or do you have adjustments in the hitch to compensate? I'm approaching a fork in the road where I have to decide whether I should go to 285/70/17s on H2s or just stay with OEM PYO's w/ 265/75/16's.

Anyways, congrats on the Chrome H2's... I really dig those...:ro)

Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
I ran the H2 wheels on my other truck for a couple years pulling about 11,500 without ever having any issues. My fifth wheel is pretty nose heavy also.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim - regarding your ride height question - that may indeed be an issue - I lowered my hitch last year because I was dragging the bumper mounted spare at the interesection of my street and the state highway (back road to main road transitions can get pretty steep around here). Stowing the spare in the bed ended the problem. The extra ride height of the new wheel & tire setup will either force me to stow the trailer's spare in the truck bed (again - no big deal), bolt on the OEM aluminum wheels & tires (I'd hate to have to do that) or increase the ride height of the 5ver (doable but a PIA). Anyway I'm not selling the OEMs until I get it all fiqured out. Pictures of the truck with new wheel setup will have to wait until I wash all the winter salt and other crud off the truck - I hate to show off a dirty truck. Stay tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts