Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of my pre-OEM Cat filter install. I wanted something extremely heavy duty and capable of withstanding just about anything you can expect on the underside of a heavy-duty truck and didn’t find anything on the market that met my requirements. I used a piece of 3/8” x 6” flat steel for my mounting bracket. It completely protects the bottom of the filter by forming a skid plate underneath it and a rock guard in front of it. I used grade 5 hardware to mount the bracket in the existing holes in the frame in front of the fuel cooler. The filter head uses ½” inlets and outlets so there is no restriction in fuel flow. I used the Cat 1R-0749 filter for it’s large capacity, but the 1R-0750 short filter could also be used. The fuel line is cut in one place and can easily be hooked back together if the need arises. ½” fuel hose slips onto each cut end of the fuel line and heavy duty clamps were used to give the hose an airtight seal. The skid plate is only about 3/4 inch below the frame rail and is not as low as other components under the truck so decreased ground clearance isn't an issue.

Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is a Perma-Cool head. I went to the Caterpillar dealer and looked at the Cat filter head. It was a high quality filter head also, but I liked the 1/2" ports on the Perma-Cool and it also had a larger opening into the filter inflow area. It shouldn't have any restriction problems at all. I'm sure the Cat filter head flows enough for our application, but I wanted the most that I could get.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks nice! Do you have the part # of the Perma-Cool head? I have a Cat unit on my bench but agree that the passages may be restrictive. Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Read the pressure drop data that comes with the filters. Looks are deceiving. Later! Frank

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Perma-Cool number is 81794. That is a kit that comes with a filter and 2 pipe plugs to fill the unused ports. I found the filter head alone, but the price was about the same as the kit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is another picture of the bracket.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Drbear...did you mount the filter head directly to the bracket shown above, or was there some kind of spacer between the head and bracket? Having the bracket mounted to the outside of the frame rail, and the filter on the inside, I'm thinking there must be something to take up the space of the frame rail itself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, there is another part that bolts to the bracket: a piece of

3"X6" ,1/4" wall steel tubing works perfectly for a spacer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
that looks great, and it looks so easy to instal. much better than messing with the top of the tank. im going to instal mine this way for sure. drbear thanks alot for this one. btw, how much do you have in this kit, by going to cat? thanks again. hddm3

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hddm3 you have mail.

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts