Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a car trailer. Would like to get a 3 car carrier, but am curious if my SRW will haul it ok. Figure a 4 car will need a dually, but a 3 car?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
as far as being legal (within GVWR/GCVW) it depends on how heavy each trailer is...but if you are worried about the truck actually being able to pull it, dont worry...some guys pull waaayyy over GCVW and their trucks never complain (both dually and SRW).

Ben

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
It would be best to be completly legal (within axle ratings and GCVW and GVWR as mentioned above)......in the event of a wreck the last thing you need to be is negligent.

Is it for work? For recreation?

Not sure what type of cars you plan on hauling, but I think youll find the need for a dually fast.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the root of all this is I just bought another truck. Didn't really need it, :rolleyes: but got a great deal on it (really) and I'm thrilled with it. The '06 listed below. I use it primarily for plowing and most of my trucks sit otherwise. I'm trying to find a way to make these trucks earn their keep the rest of the year. Was hoping to haul some cars up/down the east coast a few times a month. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Your biggest problem will be going into a scale and getting weighed. They have really been watching srw trucks, checking tire and axle weights and capacities. I think you are going to find that its almost impossible to be legal with a srw and a 3 car, you just do not have the weight capacity in the tires to be safe or legal. Kaufman does make a 2 car that may be ok.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also need to be at or under 26K to avoid a CDL. I figure if I'm registered at 10K and have dual 7K axles I should be ok at 24K max. According to the Chevy site, I can pull up to a 22K trailer. Scale houses usually give a 1K tolerance.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
According to the Chevy site, I can pull up to a 22K trailer.
:shake:

No no. 26,000 is the max (loaded vehicle and trailer), assuming that you have all of the other bases covered.

I have heard of getting certain tags in some states for a higher rating, but I dont know much about that.

Check this out:

* Click on this link.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra/specsDimen...vehicle=2500hd

* Scroll down and click on "Towing Capacities"

* Scroll down about 2/3rd of the way down to "Manual and Automatic Transmission Ratings with 5th Wheel or Gooseneck Hitch"

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:shake:

No no. 26,000 is the max (loaded vehicle and trailer), assuming that you have all of the other bases covered.

I understand that. I wouldn't be over that. truck alone is about 6600, 3 cars X 3500/ea = 10,500 and trailer alone say 4K+. Total is still just above 21K.

·
Registered
278 Posts
a 3 car trailer is going hopefully have at least a 18kGVW that plus your trucks GVW is going to put you over 26KGVW (NOT tagged but rated, still need a CDL)

You are going to stick out like a GIANT sore thumb with a 3 car trailer.

You will get stopped for DOT numbers, MCC numbers, and you are not going to have a CDL.

As for being overweight... The trailer is going to weigh 4kplus. You won't tow anything with an 18k trailer, you are going to need the at least 21kGVW.

Which is going to put you over 4k of pin weight.... Which will exceed your rear axle and tire ratings......

So the answer is:

Nope. Not gonna happen, without running into the law at every turn.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok; I agree with some of what you are saying. I have found many 3 car trailers with a GVW rated at 14K. As long as my actual and rated GVW does not exceed 26K I do not need a CL. I already have a DOT # so that's not an issue. I can get an MC # easy. Tire rating wise I am ok; just got new ones anyway. According to the GM site, I am not over the axle weight either. For some odd reason it lists SRW & DRW as the same towing capacity with the 8.1. I may just go with a 2 car since I'm just starting out & dont wanna dump a bunch of cash into this idea. Am I missing anything else?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
This is always messy.....

You can physically and safely pull as much as you can move and stop, provided you do not exceed the load rating of the individual components.

The weak link on the SRW is the tire ratings. The axle itself is way overbuilt and you can dig up the actual specs, but it is something like 12,000 lbs. Stock tire however, will limit you to 6,000 lbs.

I don't want to get into all the registration issues on the truck. I do want to say if you are hauling cars and or goods that are not your own, (in other words "for hire") you MUST have a CDL. (11,000 lbs or more gross IIRC)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do want to say if you are hauling cars and or goods that are not your own, (in other words "for hirp") you MUST have a CDL. (11,000 lbs or more gross IIRC)
What is 'hirp"? BTW, a CDL is only required if your vehicle or combination exceeds 26K lbs.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, what are those huge tires of your rated for? Love to see pics.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
"For Hire" sorry, fixed the typo.

My tires are rated at 3800 each, or 7600. I pull 20,000 lb GVW GN trailer on a regular basis. My truck is tagged and registered for 26,000 GCVW. I do have a class A CDL.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
What is 'hirp"? BTW, a CDL is only required if your vehicle or combination exceeds 26K lbs.

Thanks for the input.
Better check the CDL again. All vehicles over 26,000 gross regardless. Vehicles over 11,000 (IIRC) that cross state lines and are engaged in commerce.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
CDL'S are based on the GVWR. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles rated over 26,000 pounds requires the driver to have a CDL. However there are a few exceptions for farmers and fireman. If a GVWR cannot be determined (a vin. palte is missing) for the vehicles the weight will then be based on the actual gross weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CDL'S are based on the GVWR. Any vehicle or combination of vehicles rated over 26,000 pounds requires the driver to have a CDL. However there are a few exceptions for farmers and fireman. If a GVWR cannot be determined (a vin. palte is missing) for the vehicles the weight will then be based on the actual gross weight of the vehicle.
:exactly: The 11K lb rule you reference does make your vehicle a CMV, but no CDL is required until you exceed 26K lbs.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Whoops, my bad. You need the DOT physical over 11,000 and interstate, not CDL. I have not really looked at it since I gotten my CDL.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Guys this is an awful gray area. The 26k rule seems to be a thing of the past. We were recently told anything pulling a trailer with the trailer rated over 10k needed a CDL to cross a state line. We are commercial, but was told it didn't matter. Also bear in mind that an open multiple car trailer is always "assumed" to be commercial by the DOT. What it seems to boil down to is " The man with the gun is always RIGHT".

Sorry, minor edit there!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys this is an awful gray area. The 26k rule seems to be a thing of the past. We were recently told anything pulling a trailer with the trailer rated over 10k needed a CDL to cross a state line. We are commercial, but were told it didn't matter. Also bear in mind that an open multiple car trailer is always "assumed" to be commercial by the DOT. What it seems to boil down to is " The man with the gun is always RIGHT".
There is a lot of validity to your post. And I agree since I have a gun! :)

However, there are a lot of rules and exceptions and the whole CDL/CMV thing doesn't apply if you are hauling your own stuff with your own truck even if you are over 26K. Doesn't apply to me as I intend to do it for hire. Just thought I'd add fuel to the fire! :muahaha:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts