Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've been putting my engine back together I notice on the thermostat crossover that the quick connect heater connection has an extremely small internal hole, I'm surprised it carries enough coolant to feed the heater core, (I believe its on the push side of the pump) I notice folks here mention to get rid of it and install a nipple, my question is did anyone notice an increase in heater output?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I changed mine out after repeated fights with the quick connect fitting going bad. I never noticed a difference in heater output though. The only benifit was not having that junk pot metal/platic fitting there anymore.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If there's more flow through the heater core would there be less flow through the heads?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I changed mine on the 00 nick, didn't notice anything myself, fluid may move to quick though and not spend enough time in the rad to cool is all i can see, maybe its purpose is to allow more flow elsewhere rather than the heater core, i don't see any problem removing it though.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I know the crossover that I put on mine came off of a HUMMER and it had a nipple on it instead of a quick connect. But the nipple had a fairly small hole in it compared to a standard hose nipple.

P.S. This is one of the few times we can use the word nipple and get away with it):h .

·
Registered
4,715 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Where is this nipple you speak of...and no I will not throw that smiley in that says this thread is worthless without pics as it is not the case, but could you post a pic of where it is...;)

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
If its a factory one they are really brittle, canadian tire just spent 7 hours trying to get the broken threads out of the housing after they decided to use a flat wrench on it instead of a socket. If i were you i would take a small chisel or punch and jam it in the inside before you broke it loose, just incase it wanted to collapse like mine did.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mine came right out, no problem at all... then again it was only 5 years old though... lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
the small hole is there for a reason. to limit flwo thru the core, and keep it from leaking. you want me to try and remember how many heater cores i put in just weeks after an owner put a regular barbed fitting in there? one customer I bet we put a half dozen heater cores in his truck, one almost every week, before he finallybelievedme, and let me put the right fitting, and new pipe/hose assembly onit.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
the small hole is there for a reason. to limit flwo thru the core, and keep it from leaking. you want me to try and remember how many heater cores i put in just weeks after an owner put a regular barbed fitting in there? one customer I bet we put a half dozen heater cores in his truck, one almost every week, before he finallybelievedme, and let me put the right fitting, and new pipe/hose assembly onit.

You got it..without the restiction, coolant flows through the core too fast...:)

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I can safely say that most every vehicle I've ever lifted the hood on has been convereted over to the nipple setup at some point in time. I've never had heater core problems either. Not even with the HO water pump on the 6.5...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I can safely say that most every vehicle I've ever lifted the hood on has been convereted over to the nipple setup at some point in time. I've never had heater core problems either. Not even with the HO water pump on the 6.5...
I guess I should have mentioned this as well.....If you want to get away from the quick-coupling, there are nipples available that are restricted on the inside.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The restriction in the nipple is merely to reduce the volume of coolant bypassed around the engine - has nothing to do with leaking heater cores.

The radiator cap maintains 16psi on the entire system, including the heater core - no nipple is gonna change that, reduced or not.

An un-pressurized system can hold water with no sign of leakage - pressurize it will reveal any leakage.

Any leaks resulting from changing the heater tap are probably owner-induced, occuring while 'manipulating' the heater hoses.

Utmost care is required, as the heater core brass is thin and the connecting tubes are long - any slight twisting and you get a leak.

And thassa fack, jack!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts