Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just decide to waist some time on a upgrade for my 6.2.

I know that the heated fuel burn better ,but is no good to the IP and will generate air bubble into the fuel over 120F-140F .:badidea:

My goal is 200F-210F , because i run WVO/SVO/ and i want to try on fuel too.

my system generate 55W on each high pressure line and they are isolated for the winter time.
I tested them on a fiberglass oven at 450F with no problemo at all:) , so i decide to go ahead with my crazy idea.

Right now i only run on manual control OFF/LOW/HIGH ,but the thermal shut off switch are in place for automatique operation.

Afthe driving test the result are conclusive for the power increase and the smell at the exaust.):h

The WVO smell drop within 1 minute and when i cruise on HW when i switch the heated lines on 30 sec later i have to depress the fuel pedal a little bit,or i gain in mph :eek:

):h

·
Registered
410 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Am I understanding correctly that you are heating the injector lines after the IP?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Neat setup... Where did you get the heating elements?

Also, just out of curiosity, why is the intake and everything painted red?

·
Registered
606 Posts
High Sierra 2500;1371443; said:
Neat setup... Where did you get the heating elements?

Also, just out of curiosity, why is the intake and everything painted red?

Red's the faster color of course!

:joke: *I like my shiney red motorcycle, and I joke about red all the time*

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi i build my heated elements myself. It is so simple i can't resist when i found out how.
I simply use ; 20 gauge electric wire (the one they use to rebuild electric motor they are isolated with a varnish)

Each section of 50 feet produce 224W of heat with that wire.

I simply wrap on each IP line (the one with 1800 psi) 6'4" and i wire them in series to reach 50' total lengh.

And after i coat it with a fibrer glass resine , paint it to prevent the rust and your done.

Anb i repeat for the next circuit because i install 2 curcuit , just in case i need more heat for my WVO ):h

And the red is because i read somewhere that ,it cool the air much better than the other coulors. and it is suppose to replace a IC easely :eek: . . . . . .. and i had noting else on my shelf

Ed

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is pre-heating the fuel in the lines only beneficial if you run wvo, svo, bio, or is it helpfull when running regular diesel aswell? Just curious because it looks like a very doable mod that might be worthwhile if it helps with regular diesel. In my part of the world it just gets too cold to run wvo or svo. I am looking forward to trying out bio-diesel in the summer months though.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rock_shoes;1373907; said:
Is pre-heating the fuel in the lines only beneficial if you run wvo, svo, bio, or is it helpfull when running regular diesel aswell? Just curious because it looks like a very doable mod that might be worthwhile if it helps with regular diesel. In my part of the world it just gets too cold to run wvo or svo. I am looking forward to trying out bio-diesel in the summer months though.

Yes it increase my power by little bit ,i can't say how much but it does. and it also reduce the emission .

Why in your part of the world you can't run wvo???
My setup is O.K. and i run all year around .tested at -28C (-18F)last year.

Ed

·
Registered
87 Posts
This thread is worthy of a sticky, Ed start a new thread titled " how to make your own heated injection lines" and give lots of details and pics. We can get it posted as a sticky so everyone can build their own. Great idea and great pictures to go with it!! Keep up the great work!

Take a look at High Sierra's sticky on how to bleed the fuel system for a reference. That's a good and clear one.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sticky ?

84Sierra;1374374; said:
This thread is worthy of a sticky, Ed start a new thread titled " how to make your own heated injection lines" and give lots of details and pics. We can get it posted as a sticky so everyone can build their own. Great idea and great pictures to go with it!! Keep up the great work!

Take a look at High Sierra's sticky on how to bleed the fuel system for a reference. That's a good and clear one.
You think so ? even if my english is terrible ):h . . .
I'm just a backyard mecanic and i have no diploma to back me up .
Only my own experimentation

Ed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good grammer and spelling isn't what makes something work well, and if it works I don't care if you didn't make it past the 1st grade I'd try it in my truck! Do you know there are millionaires out there who never graduated HighSchool? I have faith in you and would really like to see it placed as a sticky.

Take it from me; well educated doesn't make you smart, it only makes you believe you are.

anybody else agree?

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Take it from me; well educated doesn't make you smart, it only makes you believe you are.

anybody else agree?
:agreed:

Definitely something that could be stickied, in my opinion... It might actually be better suited to the "fluids discussion" forum (I liked it much better when it was titled "alternative fuels" or something similar) since it could also be used on many other diesel vehicles (6.5, Duramax)...

This is something I think I might try doing...

·
Registered
446 Posts
whats the switch you are using? just a resistor for the 'low' setting? do you just run 12v threw your wraps.... was this answerd, and i didnt see it? thx

·
Registered
884 Posts
tigman;1374248; said:
Yes it increase my power by little bit ,i can't say how much but it does. and it also reduce the emission .

Why in your part of the world you can't run wvo???
My setup is O.K. and i run all year around .tested at -28C (-18F)last year.

Ed
Doesn't WVO gel at around -5C? I know I'll be able to run a bio mix in the winter and 100% bio in the summer. Also I'll be running the old girl in northern Alberta for part of the year (down to -45C, occasionally colder).

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Doesn't WVO gel at around -5C? I know I'll be able to run a bio mix in the winter and 100% bio in the summer. Also I'll be running the old girl in northern Alberta for part of the year (down to -45C, occasionally colder).
It gels at significantly higher temperatures than -5C. The stuff I've been using gels significantly above freezing... That's why you need to heat the fuel tank as well.

-45C??? :eek: And I thought it was cold where I live... It was so cold some nights last winter that you could take a mug full of water outside and it would freeze in ten minutes... Literally... :eek: 6.2 started and ran reliably the whole time (although it became evident that it didn't like it that much... I had to cover the radiator with cardboard a lot when I parked it at my destination).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For sure the tank need to be heated and isolated and your wvo need to run into a HIH up to the IP or you can add a Vegetherm betwin the polak selector valve and the IP it will do OK

Reservoir heater from under with prestone. Look closely at the bottom you will see it .and it does not generate condensation when i put the cap after the filling .

HIH setup

My fuel in spring at 65F (experimentation only, bacon grease+ canola oil mix)

BTW I'm honored for the sticky

I will dray a sketch of my setup shortly because everithing is in my head for now ,exept for few pic's.

·
Registered
884 Posts
High Sierra 2500;1376682; said:
It gels at significantly higher temperatures than -5C. The stuff I've been using gels significantly above freezing... That's why you need to heat the fuel tank as well.

-45C??? :eek: And I thought it was cold where I live... It was so cold some nights last winter that you could take a mug full of water outside and it would freeze in ten minutes... Literally... :eek: 6.2 started and ran reliably the whole time (although it became evident that it didn't like it that much... I had to cover the radiator with cardboard a lot when I parked it at my destination).
I'm assuming you run on reg diesel out of one of you're tanks until your heating system has warmed up the wvo in the other tank? Also I would expect you have some kind of pre-filter to clean up the WVO enough to run directly. Or do you have a filtration setup you use before you put it in the fuel tank? I'm always interested in cheaper fuel alternatives. Particularly when I've had a number of months where I've burned up around $400 Can. in a month with my fuel efficient 6.2.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Tigman... That is an awesome setup!

I'm assuming you run on reg diesel out of one of you're tanks until your heating system has warmed up the wvo in the other tank? Also I would expect you have some kind of pre-filter to clean up the WVO enough to run directly. Or do you have a filtration setup you use before you put it in the fuel tank? I'm always interested in cheaper fuel alternatives. Particularly when I've had a number of months where I've burned up around $400 Can. in a month with my fuel efficient 6.2.
I have dual tanks and run petrodiesel in the left tank and veggie in the right tank. I switch tanks when the truck is warmed up. I have a heat exchanger under the bed that heats the fuel using coolant heat. I filter my veg oil before it goes into the fuel tank. Of course, my setup is not nearly as well made or well thought out as tigman's... Mine is still under development.

$400 in a month... Wow. Lately I've been burning about $120 a month (~250-275 miles a week).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts