Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys i had the weirdest thing happen today. I was driving and i was being a little throttle happy and i punched it coming aroun a turn, heard a pop and the battery light came on and the engine started idleing horrible and i started to pull over, the truck died and i coasted into a parking lot and started to get nervous. I got out looked under the truck and there was no oil pouring out so i didn't put a hole in th engine block. I then popped the hood and looked underneath, everything looked good. The belt is fine, etc. So i unpluged the juice, i unprogrammed the hypertech(thinking that this thing was going to the dealer) and then i went to start it. It started fine and i drove back to work. everything was cool, other than it was slower(no chips). So i go out to start the truck this evening( i let the glow plugs cycle once and it took about double what it normally takes). I then start it cranks longer than normal. My Valentine1 radar detector is going nuts because it cannot go through its full start up process of beaps and lights because the voltage is to low. i turn the V1 off then back on and it was fine. i look at the volt gauge and it is reading about 12 volts. but no battery light. Then it starts to move and after about a minute it goes up to over 14 and i drive home. No problems. I get home and i turn the truck off and then back on and the gauge is normal.

What Happened?? I searched and i saw that the voltage gauge coming up slow is normal but it has never happened before and the pop and the truck dieing today cannot be a coincidence. I am going to see what happens tomorrow morning. I didn't park it behind my garage so if it doesnt start i can take my car. Damn i hate driving my car now the truck is way more fun.

Any Ideas??

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, i have a single alternator, 105 amp and stock batteries still, truck has 50k on it.

I am wondering if i took out the voltage regulator or the alternator or maybe a fusable link.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i look at the volt gauge and it is reading about 12 volts. but no battery light. Then it starts to move and after about a minute it goes up to over 14 and i drive home.
This 12 to 14+ volt behavior is supposed to happen, its the air heater for the intake doing its thing. no issue there.

After you start it again and if it drives normal, plug in the chips one at a time and drive it some more. You may want to experiment with different settings until you back to your original settings. Of course if it drives poorly before you install either of the chips, have the codes checked or hide the chips and take the truck to GM or favorite diesel mechanic.

things that go "pop" in the night are rarely a good thing!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck remote started fine this morning and i am heading to work now. If anybody knows what was up with the pop and stall i would be very interested in that. Or even why it stalled at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the help i guess, everything seems fine, i changed all my fluids and filters yesterday, i have been meaning to anyway. And put both ther chips back in and i havent had any issues since. I still want to know what it would stall out.

Scott

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Have the batteries and alternator load tested. That could be it. These trucks absolutely HATE bad batteries....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts