Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading all over the net and in other forums that there is a shortage of Motor Oil starting to happen. Might want to buy some. Also hearing about a rubber shortage and tires.

· Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
1,805 Posts
Shortage on all goods... Whats on the shelf cost 2.5x more than Jan/21. Chuck steak 7.99/lb., Ribeye $19.99/lb. Steel,wood, concrete, and other building materials up 65-75%. We are in an inflation or Stagnation period.
#FJB!!!!

· Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Rotella T6. I went to Home Depot where I usually buy it, the other day and they only had a few jugs left on the shelf. They always had plenty in stock on the shelf and more stacked up in the isle. Also looked at my local ranch and farm store. They have a large selection of lubes. They had some empty spots of various brands and weights too.
From what I have read. There is a shortage of both the base stock oils and additives used to make motor oil.
This sucks. So along with toilet paper i guess I will start stacking oil. :)

Reactions: dieselolds

· Registered
331 Posts
From what I have heard through my jobs parts suppliers it is going to get worse yet. They are saying by the end of the year there might be no parts available for people in my line of work. Im sure it is going to hit everything else just as hard.

· Registered
297 Posts
If you have been snipped, is rubber really necessary?
For a really nasty situation the "ribbed" rubber could come in handy.....:ROFLMAO: #FJB!!!

Reactions: firestopper

· Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brought this thread back up because Diesel motor oil is getting in short supply. Things are getting worse since i posted this thread last fall. The oil shelves are getting spotty supplies of 15-40 and 5-40 like T6 and T5 and Mobil One in my local stores.
Even for gas engine. I went to my local farm and ranch to get some 0-20 for my wifes car.. I bought the last 5 qt jug they had. Their shelves, always fully stocked. Had some empty spots for other oil weights/brands.
Biggest shortages now seem to be for synthetic oils. But from what I have been reading. The shortages will expand into dino oils too.
The additive chemicals needed for modern oils are the major problem. Supplies of them are fading away. If you have a favorite oil. Now is a good time to pick up some extra. A coupe of months from now. things may be getting a little sparse in the motor oil dpt.
Just be glad our trucks dont require DEF.. There is a triple whammy headed our way of DEF, Engine oil, and Diesel fuel shortages coming to parts of this country.

· Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Thanks for the heads up tommy.I’m stocking up on rotella 30W nowadays since T6 is like gold dust.

Reactions: Dadddyoh

· Registered
1 Posts
I don't know when they started selling it, or who actually makes it, but my small town NAPA has full shelves of their in-house 5w-40 diesel oil. I was just in to buy a couple quarts of Mobil1 TDT and it was on sale for $6-7. They're usually pretty stocked up on Liqui-Moly also but I've only ever used that in my VW diesel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.