Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.2 out of a 1989 m998 and I am using to go in my 93 3500 single cab single wheel truck that has a 6.5 turbo diesel in it but I had something go thru my oil pan and I haven’t even taken out of my truck yet. I thought there might be to much damage in my 6.5 so I was going to use this 6.2 block and rebuild the heads from this 6.2 because it only has 56000 miles on it! My question is I have a couple of pistons that have some dings in them from I’m assuming something got in there at some point but maybe not I will post some pics and y’all can let me know if this was normal or not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
69F2B08C-2F2B-48CE-AD44-02C1A7D1F23D.jpeg

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts
X2^^ do not use

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well is it possible for me to replace the two pistons that are like that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heads that came off of that block don’t have cracks between the valves or anything they look beautiful!

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts
Well is it possible for me to replace the two pistons that are like that?
If the rods are not bent and the cylinder walls have no damage and just need a hone then you could probably get away with changing out the pistons and fresh bearings

·
Administrator
16,280 Posts
The heads that came off of that block don’t have cracks between the valves or anything they look beautiful!
I would have a machine shop verify those heads and block at least with a straight edge

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the info. I was going to have the heads checked and freshened up. This block only has 56000 miles on it so that’s why I was wondering why those pistons look like that. I can turn the thing pretty easily and everything seems nice and smooth. And all the valves look great also.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Ya that doesn’t even look like glow plug tip nom nom nom marks ... the second one has something still imbedded in the piston ....

If you do change pistons FLOG don’t get CracKoLites..... aka Silvolite’s unless you enjoy doing a job twice ...

So this something that went through the pan was internal to external..???

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I second the Silvolite=Bad comment.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,186 Posts
Usually sometimes when you see top damage on a piston with a lot of dents it probably ate a glow plug tip at some point in time.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback! I just bought another 6.2 block and the pistons are like new and they are actually gm pistons that are standard bore just llke mine and I was going to re ring these pistons and use two of them in the cylinders where mine are bad. I don’t really feel like my other pistons are bad only having 56000 miles on them. And looking through the heads I don’t see any cracks like everyone keeps mentioning but I haven’t magnafluxed them either! I do appreciate all the input!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts