Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

New member here been reading the posts to get encouragement.

2002 D/A Heads coming off for the second time at 41000 miles. First time at 14000 miles. This time replacing heads with new ones, 5 weeks into it, no heads yet though.

GM is involved and preparing a so called offer supposingly but cannot tell me what it might be until the truck is fixed. I dont see the difference fixed now or later if there gonna make an offer. Any how very disappointed in this truck but dont believe its all of them just mine. This thing hydro-locked the first time and broke teeth on fly-wheel and broke starter. The heads are warped according to tech. injectors clean cylinders good piston heads look good. Had leaks on both heads albeit very small but enough to see.

For the record have purchased 5 new GM trucks since 95. I hope this counts for something to the powers that be.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First time replaced gaskets only.

I really wanted a new engine, but they claim the bottom is tough and can take the abuse of the hydro-lock etc....

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
It hydrolocked with just blown head gaskets??? at 14k? never seen that before... Never. I cant believe they didnt check it closer then if they were blown that bad, never seen any signs of coolant in a dmax cylinder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was told and best I could decipher from the paper work.

The current problem I have been more involved and have personally viewed all the parts. There is no carbon on the piston heads where the two separate leaks occured at 41k miles.Didnt realize this but I guess the coolant keeps any carbon from building. Made sense the way the tech explained anyway. This truck would be alright until you stoppped and then it would start blowing coolant out the overflow. So bad I rerouted the overflow so it wouldnt get sucked up into the air fliter. Couldnt afford to shut the truck down right away so kept hammering away until it got really bad. I take any responsibility for this but I bought this thing to work not sit in shop for weeks on end.

Oh well I believe it will work one way or another, Has Too!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions? Iam all ears?

·
Registered
212 Posts
suggest that you edit your post and remove a few things. you never know who is watching.

·
Registered
692 Posts
coolant leak into the cylinders sounds like the injector sleeve is leaking....how did you get 2 warped heads.. i am not sure of all this but i do wish gm would train these techs.......give them more to go on....i am not the best but can hold my own...we had a d/max the other day with a bearing squeeking noise very faint and hard to desifer.....another tech located the job and after 3 hrs said no problem found....i was asked as the in house d/max man to listen to it.. it was loud enough to hear and yet off idle you could not hear it first thing i did was open the hood to listen and i looked down and say the dam idler about to let go.......took one look a trip to parts and 3 day to ship to solve the issue......any way it pisses me off the dealers are alowing non diesel guys to fix them......

just wished dmaxallitech and i had a shop and warranty would cover all you guys to come in to us.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They replaced all the sleeves buttoned back up and same problem. Thats when they decided to pull heads. I saw the signs of leakage on both head gaskets. How they are both warped got me. The tech did say one side was loose, doesnt explain much. I just hope its not the mating surface on the block itself, Tech says its fine.

Wished you guys could work on it too!! Gotta go drive the Deere to get some relief!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts