Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of another company that makes those headlight wiring harnesses? You know the kind I'm talking about; they not only boost the volts going to the bulbs, but they also allow the lows to remain on when you hit the highs.

I've got one from www.suvlights.com on my truck, and now I want to get one for my wife's SUV. suvlights.com has been jerking me around a bit so I want to see if there are other companies making them too (her truck uses 9007 bulbs). I know about the one from Kennedy Diesel, but IMO they charge too much $$ for it. Do any other companies sell a GOOD harness?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Professor said:
See <FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#606420 size=3>Casper info</font>

or this link <FONT face="Times New Roman" color=#606420 size=3>Harness Search</font>

I'm getting ready to change mine and have not seen anything that compares to John's or Casper Electronics (same?)

$135 from either, I ain't skimping
In this case... you do get what you pay for. I know just for the short factory 4x4 harness that goes from the front diff to the wheelwell is $65 wholesale and there are no relays involved.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wasn't it Mackin who was the low buck harness guinea pig? IIRC he had a Painful Wiring harness for a while.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "low buck" harness I installed in my truck is from suvlights, and it hasn't given me a hint of trouble. But now that the company seems to be less customer focused then they were before I decided to look around.

For me, $135 for a harness is just too much.

·
Registered
747 Posts
suvlights states that if you use their harness on a dual battery vehicle, you should purchase two harnesses. That would make the cost over $100--very close to the KD harness @ $135.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just rec'd an issue from Stylin Concepts. they had a all four headlights on kit for chev/gmc for 49.95. they said it was unique to them, and it was the only one on the market that would work with DRL and auto headlights. they probably have it on thier website to stylinconcepts.com. this is the first time I have seen it in thier catalog, and I'm not exactly sure if it is the same thing this topic is about , but seems like it might be.

·
Registered
540 Posts
JDTRIP said:
I just rec'd an issue from Stylin Concepts. they had a all four headlights on kit for chev/gmc for 49.95. they said it was unique to them, and it was the only one on the market that would work with DRL and auto headlights. they probably have it on thier website to stylinconcepts.com. this is the first time I have seen it in thier catalog, and I'm not exactly sure if it is the same thing this topic is about , but seems like it might be.

Check this carefully. For this price it is likely just a jumper setup. The KD harness has relays, extermnal power, and uses the stock wiring and switch for just control. It is more than just having 4 headlights on at the same time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have this on a 2003 and a 2004.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/relayheadlight.htm
#30822 - For 2003 GM fullsize trucks and SUVs (NO KITS FOR OTHER OEM BRANDS AVAILABLE)

Since the 4-headlight system was introduced in 1988 on GM pickups and Suburbans, owners of these vehicles have wondered why their low beams go off when the high beams are turned on? No good reason we can think of. These kits will increase the intensity and improve the spread pattern by keeping all four lights on when in high beam mode.

Around $35

·
Registered
540 Posts
It looks like all it is doing is adding more load to the already undersized wire.

The Casper and Kennedy harness uses battery voltage and takes the load off the undersized wiring and the switch circuit.

I guess you pay your money and you get your choice. Me I spent the 135 for the conplete harness.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a Kennedy, too.

Are you saying Painless Wiring does not know what they are doing? I did a product liability search and found nothing on this product. Do you have some information you can share?

------------------------------------
GUARANTEED
PAINLESS QUALITY

Why Has Painless Become the Industry's Leading Manufacturer of Performance Wiring Harnesses and Electrical Systems?

LEADERSHIP THROUGH INNOVATION

Dennis Overholser, one of the founders of Painless Performance, originated the idea of a chassis harness kit with a pre-wired fuse block. Until this innovation, the way one wired a car was to start at one end, say a taillight, route the wire forward and terminate at the fuse block. Over the years imitators have come and imitators have gone, but Painless continues to grow and continues to lead the way in automotive performance wiring.

Constantly evolving, constantly changing, constantly innovating are some of the key reason why Painless remains the industry’s leading manufacturer of wiring harnesses and electrical system. But it’s more that just that.

It’s people.

When you purchase a Painless product, you’re not just buying a box full of wires. There are people quite willing to settle for just that and that’s fine. For them there are suppliers who are more than happy to put a bunch of wires in a box, take their money and send them on their way. What sets Painless apart are our people.

Recently, at the 2002 SEMA Awards Banquet in Las Vegas, Painless was named the Performance Warehouse Association’s Manufacturer of the Year. This was quite an accomplishment, when you consider the size of our industry (over 1,500 manufacturers

attend SEMA) and the names of some of the past winners: names like Edelbrock, K&N, B&M, Hedman, Crane, Auto Meter and so many more prestigious companies. What makes those companies great is not just their products, it’s the commitment of their people.

So when you buy a Painless product, you’re not just buying a part. You’re buying the commitment and dedication of 72 employees, from the men and women who work in our manufacturing facility and who put such care and quality into the products that we sell, to our engineering and technical staffs who design products to work right the first time and every time, to our customer service personnel who are just a toll free call away to help you with your wiring and electrical needs.

Thank you for choosing Painless Performance. You can be assured that we will constantly strive to engineer, design and produce only the very best in automotive electrical products.

Your Friends at Painless Performance.
THE HIGHEST QUALITY WIRE YOU CAN BUY
A wiring harness is only as good as its wire. That’s why Painless harnesses use only the highest quality wire available: thermal cross-linked (TXL) polyethylene wire rated to 275 degrees at 600 volts. TXL wire has twice the voltage rating of standard general purpose (GPT) wire. It delivers performance on demand in high performance applications. Plus, it will not kink and is abrasion resistant, making it much easier to route.
BULLETPROOF OEM-STYLE FUSE BLOCK
The nerve center of every Painless chassis harness is our OEM-style fuse block. These fuse blocks feature easy-to-find, modern blade-type fuses, clearly labeled circuits, corrosion resistant construction and a compact design.

WIRING PRE-TERMINATED TO FUSE BLOCK
This is the most important feature of a Painless chassis harness. How well the wiring is connected to the fuse block, how secure and permanent the connection, determines how well the entire system will perform. Every Painless chassis harness comes out of the box with the wiring already terminated to the fuse block, not by hand but with sta

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FirstDiesel said:
It looks like all it is doing is adding more load to the already undersized wire.

The Casper and Kennedy harness uses battery voltage and takes the load off the undersized wiring and the switch circuit.
Both the Painless and suvlights harnesses do the same thing that the Kennedy one does; add heavier wires and relays to take full alternator (not battery) voltage to the lights.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JDTRIP said:
I just rec'd an issue from Stylin Concepts. they had a all four headlights on kit for chev/gmc for 49.95.
As Larry mentioned, this is merely a relay setup to get 4 headlight highs. The harnesses actually bring full voltage to the lights too (which is usually over 14).

But that voltage isn't a problem for the bulbs, because all automotive headlights have to work with up to 16 volts, so 14 isn't a problem for them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TxDoc said:
Have this on a 2003 and a 2004.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/relayheadlight.htm
#30822 - For 2003 GM fullsize trucks and SUVs (NO KITS FOR OTHER OEM BRANDS AVAILABLE)
This is what I'm trying to find -- and is identical to the suvlights harness I have in my truck -- but on my wife's SUV it uses 9007 bulbs. They have both high and low in the same light, so it's been hard finding something that works with that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Unless you see something that I'm not seeing in that picture it isn't the same thing as the Kennedy harness and doesn't claim to be. All it says is that it keeps all 4 headlights on, nothing about replacing the wiring and picking up alternator voltage.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Remember is only takes 1 strand of wire to deliver 14 volts, its the heavy wire we need to run the amps which is whats gonna make them lights stronger.. the small oem wiring is limited on that and the KD harness and others larger wiring helps get more of the avail amperage to the bulb. I notice on the suvlights harness that the relay's are not sealed, also, mine didnt come with any diode for havign all lights on.... Guess hindsight is 20/20, but I will chose wiser next time

·
Registered
74 Posts
After a lot of research into relay headlight harnesses I ordered a harness from kennedy: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ and installed it this weekend on my 2004 2500HD.

I could have built the harness from scratch (too much work), just used diodes (does not provide maximum voltage to the bulbs) or purchased on from Caspers, Painless, SUVLights, etc, (not sure of the quality) but in the end the Kennedy harness appeared to be the QUALITY harness of choice.

The harness is very well made, the relays are sealed, the black wire loom matches the factory wiring, it fit prefectly and work as advertised. I took my time with the installation and if you did not know exactly what you were looking for you can not tell anything has been added to the truck. I am very happy with the harness.

All that said, that does not mean the other harnesses are bad or that the diode only method won't work, I just chose to go with what I determined to be the best quality harness avaialble. I agree with one of the other posters that in this case "You get what you pay for". I talked to John kennedy before I ordered and he was knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Performed a little test on my 03 today...

With the engine idling, I measured the voltage directly across the High and Low beam bulbs with the OEM wiring (passenger side). Results were as follows:

High Beam: 13.73V, Low Beam: 13.85V, Battery/Alternator: 14.63

(Battery voltage was measured at the Red junction box where the alternator connects to the battery cable).

These measurements indicate that the JK and/or Casper harness will definitely boost power into the bulbs. I have my homemade version with the fog light option and switches built but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can install it (it's in the teens here and my garage isn't heated). Once it's installed I'll do some more before and after measurements, but I expect to have a full 14.6 volts across all the bulbs using the relays and 10-gauge wire.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hound said:
Wasn't it Mackin who was the low buck harness guinea pig? IIRC he had a Painful Wiring harness for a while.

Yup

I tried some junk alright ....

I bought the HD headlight harness sold by JK at the time and haven't looked back ...

What your forgetting is the OEM switch and wires aren't possible going to like the added draw of 4 HO lamps over time ,as it wasn't designed for it... Best spend the money, you be glad you did ...

To each there own is the bottom line ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

1 - 20 of 35 Posts