Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my 85 k20 with banks appears to have blown a headgasket. Ive got coolant leaking from the back of the block above the oil filter and under my exhuast. Going to try and tighten the headbolts to see if it will stop leaking. My question is should i get 6.5 headgaskets or just 6.2? Im putting a hx35 on it and i wouldn't mind running some more boost probably 15psi at most so nows the perfect time to get ready for that also are the head studs worth the extra money or should i just get factory head bolts i know they are tty. I read somewhere the 6.5 headgaskets are .020 thicker and help lower compression? Any tips or links to read. I try searching the forums and i always get 6.2 stuff mixed in with duramax stuff so i have a hard time getting the right answers. The truck is my daily driver/tow rig.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a .010" thicker head gasket option for the 6.5, but I've not seen a .020" Fel-Pro 9521PT
IMHO, head studs are not worth the added expense just to run 15psi boost.
I normally paint head gaskets with Permatex Spray-A-Gasket before installing them too.
It was early and i didnt have my coffee yet lol. I thought if was .010 or .020. Is the .010 worth getting? And knowing the bolts are cheaper and easier ill run them instead. Pretty sure its etheir a blown headgasket or cracked head.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I ran head studs and coated my 0.10 6.5 gaskets with Permatex Copper-Coat. Ran them up to 20psi and never popped one. The only issue I ever had was the 6.5 gaskets have steel part that goes right past a 6.2 coolant passage. On some blocks it can leak (mine did). I don't remember what I did the next time, but it only did it once....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran head studs and coated my 0.10 6.5 gaskets with Permatex Copper-Coat. Ran them up to 20psi and never popped one. The only issue I ever had was the 6.5 gaskets have steel part that goes right past a 6.2 coolant passage. On some blocks it can leak (mine did). I don't remember what I did the next time, but it only did it once....
Im not opposed to getting a 85 6.2 headgasket kit thats .010 over etheir. Honestly it would be nice to get a MLS but im not wanting to run to crazy of boost

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Im not opposed to getting a 85 6.2 headgasket kit thats .010 over etheir. Honestly it would be nice to get a MLS but im not wanting to run to crazy of boost
I think the 6.2 head gasket has a shittier fire ring if I remember correctly. I do know they're more expensive. That's why I kept running the 6.5 gasket. For the most part they work solid

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do standard thickness 6.2 victor rienz sprayed with sealer, with arps. Have gone up to 30psi and not had any head gasket worries. Does anyone even make a mls for these?

make sure your deck is flat, i took one apart and you could actually SEE the upwards taper on the deck where the headbolt holes were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts