Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone toyed with the idea of putting headers on our trucks, I don't necessarily mean a long tube style just something to increase flow and equalize the cylinder pressures, more volume to the turbo, not really needed in a stock application, but more in a high performance arena.

·
Registered
722 Posts
exelent question. i have kinda wonderd that my self . i would thing it would have to be some sort of equal length block hugger style header with the colector pointing toward the turbo and have a intermedit (sp?) pipe betwean the colector and turbo pedastal. i would think it would thing it would help the turbo spool up a littl more quickley having a smother flowing exhaust. i know at least from the header i made for a 95 Eclips it helped out the turbo quite a bit
jsut my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
ats has one for the driver side. just a better manifold to equalize pressures. dunno bout the passenger side though.

edit: ya i meant bd not ats.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
BD has the new driver side available.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
did you notice a difference with it installed?

·
Registered
648 Posts
The down side to a header is if you increase the piping size you still have to cram it through the same turbo. Not only that it forces the gas to slow down and then speed back up as it is choked down going into the turbo. If the runners were kept small it might help but you have to control heat loss too. That's what drives the turbo(s). Larger runners and a larger turbo exhaust housing (T-4 inlet flange or bigger) and wheel would be good though.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The down side to a header is if you increase the piping size you still have to cram it through the same turbo. Not only that it forces the gas to slow down and then speed back up as it is choked down going into the turbo. If the runners were kept small it might help but you have to control heat loss too. That's what drives the turbo(s). Larger runners and a larger turbo exhaust housing (T-4 inlet flange or bigger) and wheel would be good though.
Thank that's all i wanted to know, Make's sense when I hear I from the pro's.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
ya I have that, Just curious about added even more flow
So did you notice any improvement with the BD drivers side manifold?
JP

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
yes it makes it cooler, how much? BD has done a few test to see the differece, from what i remember it was noticable, and made the engne run a bit more uniform(more even ) the bigger the tune the more it helps, take a look at their site

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
yes it makes it cooler, how much? BD has done a few test to see the differece, from what i remember it was noticable, and made the engne run a bit more uniform(more even ) the bigger the tune the more it helps, take a look at their site
Thanks. One more thing, if you had it to do over again would you buy the manifold, or do you think that it's just a "nice" thing to have?
JP

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
for a truck with a large tune it is a must,but a stock truck do not worry, like 360 dollars but does take some time to get in, when you look at the stock one it is quite a bit of restriction

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
why couldn't the passengers side be the restricted one, it's pretty easy to get on and off!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with fred, on a stocker with a mild tune, I wouldn't bother, but when you plan on breaking the 500hp and up mark, anything to help flow, helps. It's like the banks technicooler, the DP members in the know say its a waste of money, but when you want to 600rwhp on a daily basis I want all the help I can get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.