Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, my Submarine is blowing coolant out the tailpipe. I suspect it is a head gasket, but it might be worse.

As part of my planning for this exercise, I need to get some feedback regarding the cylinder head attachment hardware.

Head bolts or studs. ARP has been useless (not like them). I cannot get the special order dept to return my calls. No application listed in the catalog, so I'm stuck until they reply.

help?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I think studs are prefferable but I believe the motor has to be out to slide the heads down over them.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The studs can be installed with the head on the block, in the chassis. Just a bit more of a pain. On some chassis, there may be an interference problem with the rear ones. I've changed head gaskets in an early pickup that had studs. It worked ok, I had to "rubber band" two of the studs into the head prior to installing it on the block. The others went in after the head was on. Double nuts, locked lightly and lots of patience.

Remember, teflon pipe sealant on the threads or they leak! I like to chamfer the bolt holes slightly prior to reinstalling the head. I don't "bottom" the stud in the block. Just finger tight, so as not to put pressure on the surface. Keep the load on the threads. Part # from ARP is 130-4062.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts