Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has seen any buildups of somebody using a holset he351cw on a military 6.2l. I've had no luck finding anything about it, i just find swarms of he351ve's on 6.5s

I have an 85 cucv blazer with only 20k miles on it that i would like to give a kick in the pants. I have 2 351CWs from an 05 cummins on hand already so I would like to know if it's possible (if not easier) to install.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Should be a T3 exhaust flange so it should work it you got a turbo exhaust manifold and custom intake

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know somebody who should be able to part with the manifolds and i got all kinds of pipe i can make a intake with...what i was really wondering is if the CW is adjustable at all? I don't want to accidentally throw 30 psi into my engine and grenade it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
A boost gauge should be installed to monitor boost pressure

A custom made spring waste gate actuator would be a good idea to dial in the amount of boost pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i guess my next question would be....how much boost could i put into this thing?

i know it already has a high compression ration so i was assuming no more than 10 psi

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,067 Posts
10-12 would be my limit

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I'm maxing out my 10psi vacuum/boost gauge at the moment.
Solution will be to put in a gauge that reads higher pressure.

If the HE351cw has the same out let V-band flange as my HE351VE you will need a flange.
I bought 2 stainless steel flanges incase I warped one welding pipe to it.
My extra one is yours for $20 plus shipping if you want it.
The trick to not warping them is to install it on the turbo with the V-band clamp, torque it and weld about 3/4 of an inch at a time on different sides of the weld area, don't weld 2 or 3 long continious beads.
I couldn't find a V-band flange any where. I looked on and off for months. This would save you a lot of trouble.

·
Diesel Technician, Formerly zland76
921 Posts
I think your turbo is capable of producing more boost at a low drive pressure ratio, but i am a newb at reading maps.

I would boost more than stated with yours, but 27 is from a much larger turbo. Best bet would be to get a drive pressure guage in the exhaust side(pre turbo).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Asking how much boost is a loaded question. YOu need to decide how much is safe for your set up
that's mostly what i was wondering, I see swarms of civilian 6.5s using the 351ve but no 351 CWs on a military 6.2 so i don't know what to expect. I know it's gotta be different from the civilian model, i'm just not sure exactly what, besides the 24 volt system of course.

I think your turbo is capable of producing more boost at a low drive pressure ratio, but i am a newb at reading maps.

I would boost more than stated with yours, but 27 is from a much larger turbo. Best bet would be to get a drive pressure guage in the exhaust side(pre turbo).
ya after i looked at some pictures it looks like the 351CW has a much smaller exhaust side housing than a 351VE. Im told they're supposed to spool alot faster.

i left the turbo at work i'll take some pictures with the measurements tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my co-worker bring in the exhaust manifolds and it looks like they would fit with no problem. i would just have to put studs in 2 of the holes. what i'm getting from him is the lh and rh manifolds, the oil supply line, and the crossover pipe. I don't know how well this is going to fit though.

I'm also having some issues trying to find the lift pump spacer for oil return, if anybody has a picture of one so i could fab one myself or if you know where i could just buy one that would be doable as well.

once i get it all in i'll probably just start with the waste gate about 1/4" open and tweak it until i get the boost i want.

would anybody have any advice for or against this? I would prefer to NOT grenade my engine lol.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Put an electric lift pump from a 6.5 in. It's REAL easy and frees up a little space in the engine bay.

LH and RH 6.5 manifolds fit fine in a square body frame. The oil lines need a little flip flopping though, other than that they're fine. I bought longer bolts for my 6.5 manifolds instead of using studs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Put an electric lift pump from a 6.5 in. It's REAL easy and frees up a little space in the engine bay.

LH and RH 6.5 manifolds fit fine in a square body frame. The oil lines need a little flip flopping though, other than that they're fine. I bought longer bolts for my 6.5 manifolds instead of using studs.
ya he had told me to go ahead and get an electric lift pump, but does the 6.5 lift pump also have space for an oil return?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I just drilled and tapped the front engine cover for my oil return.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
ya he had told me to go ahead and get an electric lift pump, but does the 6.5 lift pump also have space for an oil return?
You get the 6.5 mechanical lift pump block off plate and that is your oil return. The 6.5 lift pump mounts as close to the fuel tank as you can get.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
It already has a bung on it, just gotta run the line, no problems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.