Diesel Place banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2004 Chevy K3500 Crew cab DRW 6.6 Duramax
335 Posts
so it's crazy that this happened 3 miles from where we're storing it in Hood River OR.
You got Streight fuel in Oregon? I have been all over this, well, fine lovely state, and nobody should be selling anything but B20. If there is one in Oregon, I have five 55 gallon drums and I'm heading there in the morning. PGE and most municipalities are now running B100. And they are saying the state will be moving to B100 only in the near future. That bioBS is for the birds.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update: The local station manager took this issue up with his boss, who only approved sending me a $50 gift card. I spent $182.47 to replace the contaminated fuel, so now I'm contacting Shellcustomercare to see if they'll reimburse the balance.

· Administrator
22,219 Posts
Update: The local station manager took this issue up with his boss, who only approved sending me a $50 gift card. I spent $182.47 to replace the contaminated fuel, so now I'm contacting Shellcustomercare to see if they'll reimburse the balance.
Keep us up to date (y)

Reactions: mp06011999

· Registered
335 Posts
Why didn't you park the pick up at the station or have them drain the tank and clean the system? I've seen people do this in the past when an attendant fills a tank with unleaded. And I have seen stations replace engines after a failure due to an attendant putting in the wrong fuel and the customer driving off.

Just curious.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why didn't you park the pick up at the station or have them drain the tank and clean the system?
I drove the truck 3 miles home from the station without issue, probably due to the clean fuel already in the lines. The next day, I couldn't safely start the truck, let alone drive it to the station.

· Registered
335 Posts
I drove the truck 3 miles home from the station without issue, probably due to the clean fuel already in the lines. The next day, I couldn't safely start the truck, let alone drive it to the station.
Gotcha. Makes since.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Might want to read thru this.

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Might want to read thru this.
As far as I know, it hasn't happened to me since the 80s and with gas. But I really came to expect that the days of getting bad fuel were long gone. Guess not. Thanks for the 411, all of ya (y)

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Despite claiming to respond within 24-48 hours, "Shell Customer Care" has ignored me for a week. I just submitted a consumer complaint with the Oregon Attorney General. My experience is that this will get their attention. I expect that I'll at least get refunded for the 15 gallon purchase, but maybe not reimbursed for the additional 25 gallons it contaminated. Fingers crossed...

Reactions: mp06011999

· Administrator
22,219 Posts
Despite claiming to respond within 24-48 hours, "Shell Customer Care" has ignored me for a week. I just submitted a consumer complaint with the Oregon Attorney General. My experience is that this will get their attention. I expect that I'll at least get refunded for the 15 gallon purchase, but maybe not reimbursed for the additional 25 gallons it contaminated. Fingers crossed...
You should also be reasonably reimbursed for the time it took to diagnose and correct the problem

· Registered
335 Posts
When I went through an issue with electronic injection service in Sherwood oregon, I filed with the OR AG and with the BBB. The AG did nothing in 7 months but the BBB had a response in about two weeks. I got the $5000 I spent for injectors I never got plus the loss of use for vehicle plus the valve covers damaged by the piss poor job they did.

Might want to file with them too.

John

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've had better results with AGs than BBB over the years, but why not both? Since it's easy to copy and paste, I just submitted a BBB complaint too.

While I "should" be reasonably reimbursed for my time, that would be a much bigger lift. I can't even get them to pay for the fuel. The $50 gift card doesn't even cover the 15 dirty gallons purchased at Shell, let alone the 25 clean gallons purchased at 76. I have reminded Shell that this is a best case scenario for them: no traffic accident, no tow truck, no mechanic, etc. Crickets...

· Registered
335 Posts
In my claim, the BBB got results in a few weeks. The AG's office hadnt even got started on the claim, 7 months later. YMMV If I had to go through a claim again, I'd probably go through the BBB again but hire a lawyer to boot. Start with the maximum and that way I could settle on what was needed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts