Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I busted the red hazard switch trying to put my dash back in ( wasn't paying attention) and now I have to have it held in bu duct tape at the proper position so it works. Is there any way to replace just the red piece without having the take the whole centre column out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Other than trying to epoxy something in place to lock/release the hazard switch I think your only other option would be to replace the entire turn/cruise/wiper module. It's not that difficult with patience and the right tools. Just remember to pull the air bag fuse before you mess with the steering column. ~FH

Reactions: Diaric

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hazard Switch

I noticed on my old multi-function switch that I could just pull the hazard switch out, not sure if that's because it was broken or not. It does however appear that it is no more than a moving copper contact with the latching mechanism built into it. All it does is move up and down against traces inside the mult-function switch. If you can find any gassers in a nearby junkyard as long as it's the same style switch you can grab it, I'm not sure about the specifics on that one, but I'd try just yanking on a couple of the hazard switches on a 1991 to 1999 GM Truck/SUV and see if it comes out.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I just noticed yesterday that my hazard button won't stay down, but they'll flash if I hold it down. Then today, I noticed that holding it down with the key OFF and rocking it (to try to make it latch), has the same effect as turning the key to RUN (all the warning lights prove out, WTS cycles...). I assume that means it's trash. I don't mind changing it out but what's the correct procedure? Does it bolt on the side of the column (pull just the plastic column shroud), or does it wrap around the shaft (pull the wheel)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just noticed yesterday that my hazard button won't stay down, but they'll flash if I hold it down. Then today, I noticed that holding it down with the key OFF and rocking it (to try to make it latch), has the same effect as turning the key to RUN (all the warning lights prove out, WTS cycles...). I assume that means it's trash. I don't mind changing it out but what's the correct procedure? Does it bolt on the side of the column (pull just the plastic column shroud), or does it wrap around the shaft (pull the wheel)?
I just finished replacing mine about 30 minutes ago and it took me roughly an hour and a half start to finish.
You need to disconnect your batteries for a start, and I pulled my air bag fuse just to be safe. Its a bit of work but i had the same problem and had no choice but to fix it. Here's a link I found online as to how to fix it.

http://m.chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22685&styleid=11

Although I managed to get the torx screw out without taking out the air bag. It was quite a process however its fixed and good to go. Read the link above. Helped me the entire way!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Where did you buy the switch, and how much was it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
That's an excellent multi-function switch tutorial. Good find! ~FH

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm shopping for a new one, but I haven't found one I like yet. Amazon has a few aftermarket ones, but RockAuto wants $210 for an ACD D826A. Do we have any vendors who could beat that price delivered to Memphis?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm shopping for a new one, but I haven't found one I like yet. Amazon has a few aftermarket ones, but RockAuto wants $210 for an ACD D826A. Do we have any vendors who could beat that price delivered to Memphis?
You should try a wreckers. Just make sure it works. I wouldn't buy brand new!! But if you do try, www.rockauto.com

They are very good!!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I went with the ACD D826A for $185.41 after tax. Should be here in a few days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Click this, read its caption, then keep going to the NEXT until you get to the closeup of the assembled column (11 pics total):

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Good job, good write up. ~FH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts