Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up with this last night while trying to change my fuel filter.

I usually will pull the wheel skirt to do mine as I cannot seem to get a filter wrench down on the filter and be able to trun it at all!

I just cut one of my filter wrenches shorter, welded a piece of 1/2" square stock on the end and put two 1/2" drive extensions on backwards. Then grabbed the top with a 1/2" box end.

Slid it down, spun the filter off.

Worked slick. Figured maybe somone else could use it to, so I thought I would post it for you guys! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
that's a good idea, but i usually go through the wheel well to take mine off.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I use one of those rubber strap wrenches you can get at Harbor Freight for $2. They work great.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's a good idea, but i usually go through the wheel well to take mine off.
Yep, that is what I do also, I just get sick of taking out all those dang push pins!

I use one of those rubber strap wrenches you can get at Harbor Freight for $2. They work great.
I tryed one of those too. I can't seem to be able to spin any type of wrench inside my engine compartment I dont' know if I am just dumb or what. :confused::confuzeld

·
Registered
122 Posts
Filter Wrench

Wouldn't it have been easier to have a filter wrench with the swivel handle to get in there? There is a post where a guy changes his this way and it looks very easy and has pictures with it to show how. He does his from the top side.

2007 Silverado 2500 HD LT Ext Cab SB/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Lube the gasket and o-ring, put it on by hand and it comes off by hand next time. No fancy wrench needed.

A+ for your wrench though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use a swivel handle wrench from the top. No issues just takes a little patience. The one I purchased is a little on the small side to fit the filter so that makes it hard for me but it works.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I tryed one of those too. I can't seem to be able to spin any type of wrench inside my engine compartment I dont' know if I am just dumb or what. :confused::confuzeld

There are two sizes and I use the smaller one.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Lube the gasket and o-ring, put it on by hand and it comes off by hand next time. No fancy wrench needed.

What do you lube it with?

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
nice job

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fuel Filter

Go to page 5 in here and look up "changing fuel filter on 07 LBZ", he has some pictures posted and explains how to do this.

2007 Silverado 2500 HD LT Ext Cab SB/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I use a swivel filter wrench from the top with the intake hose removed. Very easy. Hardest part is getting the new one started on those horrible factory threads.
ac

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yep, that is what I do also, I just get sick of taking out all those dang push pins!

i just cut out a small section of the liner at the bottom of it by the shock mount.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts

I do the same as saratoga. Off by hand, Lube with Parker O Lube, Then on by hand. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for sharing your tool creation, I might give it a try. I always have trouble getting a filter wrench on the filter, seems there is only one spot that slides up against the block. I lost lots of skin the other day when I had to loosen mine by hand. Lots of good ideas here to look into.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Andrew,
That's the exact same one as I use. I have a cheap 1/2 to 3/8 adapter that I leave in it so that I don't have to mess with a heavy 1/2" ratchet. I use channel locks to change the water sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts