Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a ruff 6 months, and an even a longer story, but I haven't started my 04 lly in six months:( Around 15000 miles, had it serviced prier to it sitting. Is there anything I should do before and after I start the Duramax?
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Bat. charger or a trickle charger to make shure the bat's are good and strong

and let it run for 10 min then go an driver her hard

·
Registered
468 Posts
You might look under the hood for any obvious crap like a squirrel's nest, mouse damage, etc. I'd look in the air filter chamber too, you never know what might have crawled in there.

Take a look up the tail pipe with a flashlight too. Check fluids, tire pressure, lights, and brakes for pedal pressure. If all looks good, fire it up and listen carefully under the hood for odd sounds for a few minutes at idle.

After a little bit, increase RPM's to about 1500, and listen more. If all sounds good and engine is warmed up I'd take it out for a drive, starting slowly at first.

You might apply some light foot pressure to the brakes while going 5 - 15 mph at first to get the rust of the rotor. If all is good, go with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check the tire pressure before driving.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Ideally, you'd like to circulate the engine oil before the engine fires up, to avoid scuffing, because the oil has had a long time to drain away from all the moving parts. One way this can be done by 'tickling' the starter a few times before keeping it on long enough to actually start the engine. Another way is to turn over the engine by hand, using a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer (though I don't know how easy it is for you to do that)

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I'd go get some fuel treatment if it were me.:eek:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i would just fire her up let it set running for a few min and drive it like you would any other day

·
Registered
63 Posts
the helk with it just fire here up and just run her hard and wide open... its a diesel you cant break them... jk dont listen to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts