Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just obtained my CDL "A", Gus who works at the test place in Willard Ohio told me I only needed the medical card if the company I work for requires it, otherwise I DON't need it?
Anyone else has experience with this?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I think that it is a federal requirement that you have a physical card.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Its mandatory to have a medical card no matter who you drive for.Federal law.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cdl

I'm real sure it's a federal law that you have a cdl you have to have a medical card. Every time i've been stoped Iwas asked for it, and it must be renewed every two years.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
YOU must have a medical card renewed every 2 years..you must also be part of a drug consortium that is up to the responsiblility of your employer. (though many dont do it) you either have to be drug and alcohol tested every i believe 6 months or part of a random drug testing deal. either a random set up or every so many months.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Medical Card

msheriff;1585952; said:
just obtained my cdl "a", gus who works at the test place in willard ohio told me i only needed the medical card if the company i work for requires it, otherwise i don't need it?
anyone else has experience with this?
you need a medical card no if an's or but's need to make sure that blood pressure is good and no sugar in urine and eyes they don't do a drug screen unless asked buy someone it's federal law to have it

·
Registered
353 Posts
You can't get a CDL without proof of passing a DOT physical. Then you have to take a physical every two years to maintain the CDL. As far as a medical card in Indiana you have to carry the original DOT physical exam papers with you. Indiana hasn't issued a medical card for several years. If the state issued you a CDL without the DOT physical exam papers some one screwed up. If you have passed the driving and written tests and have not went to get the license you will find out about the DOT physical requirments from the good people at the DMV. By the way the Doctors charge between $100 to $150 for the exam here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had a Class A CDL ever since they came out and Never had a medical card... BUT I can only drive a CMV in my Home state.... BUT for the new guys getting one it is Now Required....

All I have to do is take the Filled out medical form and card to the Driver License place and they will remove the restriction...

·
Registered
924 Posts
you also have to take the terrosist to keep your cdl .Its called highway watch training.www.gmta.org for ga any how.I had to do mine before renewel.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I did indeed just get my CDL and Gus was the guy's name who put me through the hoops (3-types of parking, pre-inspection trip and road trip) He was the one who said I only needed it if my boss required it. I then went and had my licen. updated with new pict. and all, no one asked for medical card at the BMV. I will contact Dr. office on Monday and get it. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts