Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,i have a appointment with the dealer saturday morning to have my fuel filter changed and he told me i should have the fuel system and injectors cleaned.the truck has 140,000 miles the injectors was replaced from the previous owner at around 80,000 miles.
the stealer charges 239.00 for the fuel filter and the sysyem cleaned out. does this sound right?
thanks,jeff

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Don't waste your money. Buy the filter from a vendor here for $35 and change it yourself. Then buy some good fuel additive like the FPPF and run it every tank.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If this is not the "FREE" filter upgrade then change it yourself. If it is then let them change it and tell the service writer to sell his snake oil somewere else......):h

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, that cleaning injector stuff is crap. We used to laugh about it at the dealership I worked at. Pure profit.

We would see a tune-up guy in his stall revving the heck out of a motor to "clean the injectors with that special stuff run through the fuel lines. We used to joke it was doing more damage to the motor than clean injectors were worth. Just buy some additive and run it with your fuel. I have a car with 170k miles and the injectors are still nice and clean. I only run cleaner one out of every 8 tanks or so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks guys i could of been burned from this dealership pretty good.:eek: this is my first diesel so im still trying to learn the ropes.
so what is the steps on changing the fuel filter?
unscrew the old and on with the new?
thanks alot guys,jeff

·
Registered
473 Posts
Congratulations on the truck. Don't let the dealers sell you snake oil.
To change your fuel filter look in the Do It Yourself & Useful Articles section, good pictures and step by step directions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also recommend doing the filter yourself. I recieved in the mail for the free fuel filter upgrade. So I let them do it, after it was done they had spilled fuel all over the truck, including the frame. Well apparently that wax paint and diesel don't get along well. Several bare spots all over the frame. After convincing them that they had done that, they reundercoated the truck. Well this was right when it started getting cold outside and i noticed it was taking longer for the truck to start. The longer is sat the harder it was to get it started. It got to a point where i knew it wasn't just cold weather. So I went out and bought a new filter. As i took the filter they put on off. I notice the 0-ring on top was stickin out the side, and also noticed it wasn't a new filter, it was still the old part number. Well I let the dealer know what happened, but it was a lost cause. Just my heads up on that!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
The problem if you don't have the dealer do it, then your truck is logged into the system as "Recall service not performed" and they could use that to deny future warranty or extended warranty coverage if you're still under your 100k (or 200k for injectors on the LB7).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts