Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand-new 2500HD Duramax/Allison is already having injector problems - it doesn't even have 2500 miles on it yet (but it may when I get it back from the dealer ... more on that later...)

In the first 2000 miles it's had the clack/sputter/SMOKE thing happen four times - 1st occurance at 1660 miles. Last occurance was just this past Saturday - two times within 10 miles of driving (very scary as the power loss caused me to slow to the point I was enveloped in the smoke screen...)

Here's the sceneraio - the dealer has to see/experience it failing before they'll replace the injectors. The problem is intermittent - truck will dump you, then run fine for the next 200 miles. SO... the dealer tells me their shop guy is going to drive it home & try to duplicate the problem. This may or may not happen for him, and in the meantime I'm paying him to drive around in a $45,000 rental car!

I can't afford to have a brand-new truck do this - the most recent occurance was a safety problem!

Question: is there an "automotive" lawyer I can contact? Someone who would be able to pull some weight and point out the known issues with the injectors. Hopefully someone will see the obvious - that I would have no desire to leave a truck I'm paying a lot of money for sitting at the dealer for a problem that never happened ... does the dealer has to experience the problem because they must assume the owner is clueless and/or lying(?)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I feel for you, I work in a service position and from my experience people will not complain of a problem if it does not exist. I hate it when dealers say they can't do anything because no codes were set.

I have not heard of injector problems with the new trucks, but I have seen a post about a intermittent problem like yours and it turned out to be a bad injector pump. Do a search on this forum and see if it turns up.

Corsair

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
inte said:
...............I can't afford to have a brand-new truck do this - the most recent occurance was a safety problem!

Question: is there an "automotive" lawyer I can contact? Someone who would be able to pull some weight and point out the known issues with the injectors. Hopefully someone will see the obvious - that I would have no desire to leave a truck I'm paying a lot of money for sitting at the dealer for a problem that never happened ... does the dealer has to experience the problem because they must assume the owner is clueless and/or lying(?)

There is a fella starting a class action @ http://www.gm-diesel.com/diesel/vbull/showthread.php?t=8720 and looking for others w/first hand experience.

I would suggest you report your 'safety' incident to the National Hiway Safety Agency @ http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Hopefully, enuff reports may force a recall (questionable) and would be an immense favor to the rest of us.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After 4 visits or 30 days in the shop you are eligible for lemon law.

If the issue is safety, I think its 3.

just type in [your state] Lemon Law on any search engine for specifics.

I had a 03 Ford 6.0L that was bought back through Fords DSB (Dispute solutions board) which is a independent arbitration panel. It cost me ZERO dollars.

My point is: DO NOT HIRE AN ATTORNEY until you see if GM has something similar because once you pursue this via actual lemon law, your are past any type of DSB. Take things in proper step. Call GM customer care and inquire about their process and go with it. Document everything (conversations, dates, times, exact situations EVERYTHING). keep all documents of course

Sounds like you have some crap fuel though... I think the problem is something simple

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2MuchFun said:
After 4 visits or 30 days in the shop you are eligible for lemon law.

If the issue is safety, I think its 3.

just type in [your state] Lemon Law on any search engine for specifics.

I had a 03 Ford 6.0L that was bought back through Fords DSB (Dispute solutions board) which is a independent arbitration panel. It cost me ZERO dollars.

My point is: DO NOT HIRE AN ATTORNEY until you see if GM has something similar because once you pursue this via actual lemon law, your are past any type of DSB. Take things in proper step. Call GM customer care and inquire about their process and go with it. Document everything (conversations, dates, times, exact situations EVERYTHING). keep all documents of course

Sounds like you have some crap fuel though... I think the problem is something simple

Problem with the Lemon Law is this is the 1st service visit to the dealer regarding this problem - so I'm not eligable yet. My reasoning for the lawyer was to simply document the obvious on an attention-getting letterhead. GM can replace the injectors prior to the 3rd or 4th visit, it's just a question of weather or not they will.

BUT... at this point I'm not concerned (for now). My truck basically became one of the service guys personal vehicle this past week. He just drove it around with some diagnostic equipment attached. After a couple hundred miles, sure enough it freaked out for him. The issue was traced to the #3 injector. Parts should arrive Monday, in the meantime they put me in a 4-door Ram & I didn't even demand a truck like that - so far I've been treated well by the dealer - I'm impressed.

My lingering concern is ... I just picked up this truck in March. It has the new LLY engine with the external injectors that aren't supposed to do this.

We'll see... stay tuned, film at 11...

·
Registered
403 Posts
inte,

What dealership? Tustin Buick GMC?

Is the Ram dark grey with a hemi? If so its the same one I drove while they replaced all 8 of my injectors....Edited by: Blinky

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
inte said:
Does this problem occur after starting it up and driving it first thing in the morning, after it has set over night, if so why not suggest to the service manager that you would like to park it at the dealers overnight, then tell him you would like be there when they open up first thing in the morning so you can ride along with the mechanic for a test drive to see if you can duplicate the problem, if it doesn't act up on the test drive this will still give you the opportunity to talk to the mechanic face to face so you can tell him in your own words what the problem is and how it acts, believe me theres alot of service managers that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground, and sometimes the best cure for this is to talk to the mechanic thats going to work on your vehicle instead of relying on some one else.

My brand-new 2500HD Duramax/Allison is already having injector problems - it doesn't even have 2500 miles on it yet (but it may when I get it back from the dealer ... more on that later...)

In the first 2000 miles it's had the clack/sputter/SMOKE thing happen four times - 1st occurance at 1660 miles. Last occurance was just this past Saturday - two times within 10 miles of driving (very scary as the power loss caused me to slow to the point I was enveloped in the smoke screen...)

Here's the sceneraio - the dealer has to see/experience it failing before they'll replace the injectors. The problem is intermittent - truck will dump you, then run fine for the next 200 miles. SO... the dealer tells me their shop guy is going to drive it home & try to duplicate the problem. This may or may not happen for him, and in the meantime I'm paying him to drive around in a $45,000 rental car!

I can't afford to have a brand-new truck do this - the most recent occurance was a safety problem!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blinky said:
inte,

What dealership? Tustin Buick GMC?

Is the Ram dark grey with a hemi? If so its the same one I drove while they replaced all 8 of my injectors....

Yep - Tustin Buick GMC. The Ram is actually white with the Hemi. Brand new - only has between 500-600 miles on the clock.

I learned that with the new LLY engine they don't replace all 8 injectors. It's by viture of the new design - they're now external injectors, so they simply ID the one going haywire & pop a new one in. Supposedly it's the #3 - hopefully it fixes it.

As much as driving the Ram around is cool - I really prefer the Sierra! (and this is coming from a satisfied Dakota owner...)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Inte,

The hemi was cool for about 1 day.... then I was, "this thing is gutless... where's my truck?"

It sounds like it is all working out for you......

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hasselbach said:
Wow, THAT THING GOT A HEMI?

The magic of marketing to make the old seem new ... the 'hemi' design has been around in Chrysler products since the 50's ...

·
Registered
242 Posts
hey inte,
you might want to pm dmaxallitech or gmcsid and check on this. I thought the TB covered 04 trucks and was supposed to replace all 8 injectors.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hasselbach said:
yeah I know... I was repeating the TV ads....

I think most people probably do ... except the people buying them

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dieselman said:
hey inte,
you might want to pm dmaxallitech or gmcsid and check on this. I thought the TB covered 04 trucks and was supposed to replace all 8 injectors.

Thanks, I PM'd them - the dealer said that the "external" design of the new LLY injectors isn't part of that TSB - we'll see if that was accurate.

In other news, I picked up the truck today. Aside from evidence that the tech was leadfooting his friends around (14.2 AVG MPG on DIC, cupholders in back seat still wet...) it seems to be working fine so far. The acid test will be when I get my first 500 highway run in since the repair ... couple weeks away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts