Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 2 sets now that have had pre-mature sidewall cracking from the sun. I am very happy with the Michelin's other than this and it's time to replace again.

Last time I had to replace between 3-4 years of age due to sun/sidewall cracking, had 80% tread left easy. Michelin did offer me a discount on a replacement set due to the known pre-mature sidewall cracking, but the replacement was the exact same tire with the same issue. So here I am again needing to replace.

I would go with Michelin's again IF they've solved the cracking issue, not sure if I want to pay a premium for them if they are going to continue to need replacement after 3-4 years and little actual mileage/wear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ever since Michelin discontinued the original LTX, I can only get 25,000 miles out of a set. The original LTX would give me 70-77K miles. I have now gone through two sets of the newer version and finally quit Michelin's.
I now run Bridgestone Dueler LTH on the 1500. They cost less money and carrie the same 70K mile warrantee.

I'm also quitting BFG All terrains for the 2500HD. They are expensive and only give me 30-33K miles.
Bothe rigs are serviced frequently and front end alignments are always current so I'm confidant its the tire quality.
On my 82 Land Cruiser I use to run BFG mud terrains with horrible ware. I switched to General Grabbers and so far so good. The Grabbers are American made.

I'm going to try Cooper Discovery AT3 for my 2500HD. Made in the USA and way less money than the BFG.
BTW, BFG and Michelin are the same French company.

I don't see Michelin/BFG making a better tire anytime soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts