Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone who has a Cognito leveling kit has had problems with their front drivetrain after sledpulling and or towing or anything. Also anyone with lift blocks in the back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did a new 2500HD with that leveling kit.Running 35" BF.I added a 2" lift block from a 1500.He also does some towing.Not any problems yet.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's, I'm just trying to figure things out because I'm not putting a suspension lift on the HD when I get it like I've got on my Z71 now. Just wanna level the front end and put a block in the rear and still have a good ride. I'll put some Bilstiens on after a while probably. I'm going to change the rims from winter to summer so I'll have the set it comes with and I'll get an afermarket rim and tire for non salt/winter sesaon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the Cognito leveling kit set at 2" and 2" blocks in the rear. I am running 265/75/16 tires and factory shocks. I have pulled 5k to 6k a couple of times but mostly empty, no problems so far.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing you guys normally have to trim so there is no rubbing is slightly curving the airdam when you have bigger tires right? I think I'd run maybe 285's or 305's in the warm weather and the ones that come with it in the winter. Don't like the tucked under the body look like the stocker's have.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
Z71 Grizzly;1582713; said:
I would like to know if anyone who has a Cognito leveling kit has had problems with their front drivetrain after sledpulling and or towing or anything. Also anyone with lift blocks in the back.

Z71 Grizzly,

If you plan on sledpulling I would say to use a 4" kit set low. It only takes that one time to brake a CV shaft. The Cognito 2-3 kit will be fine for every day driving and 4wd. Sledpulling puts to much stress on the CV shafts when your front end is turned up. Cognito's 4-6 kit set @ 4" will have factory CV & tierod angles that will be better for sledpulling. There are other 4" kits on the market but not all give you factory angles set @ 4" so do reaserch to make sure.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nick, what about the driveshaft angles though. That'd be easier to break u-joints or something even though I'd put traction bars on. If I use the leveling kit couldn't I just crank the bars down so the angle isn't up as much. This is one of the reason's I'm getting a 3/4 ton t stray away from driveline problems from having a 4" susp. lift on my 1/2 ton. I'm going to put extra protection on the drivetrain the first thing,sleeves/idler/pitman arm supports and then homemade traction bars

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you somehow truly convinced me that the rear end or u-joints or something wouldn't break all the time I just might try a 4" Cognito susp kit. But I'll probably end up getting the leveling kit w/2" lift block just because it's more reassuring that all the angles wouldn't be as stressed all the time I don't figure.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
When you get a chance feel free to call me and I can go over the pro's and con's with you and get 1 or the other shipped to you.

Nor-Cal Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts