Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm curious because when i first got my truck, on nov.23. i ran b-30 in my truck. around christmas my truck wouldn't bust off without silicone spray. i had to replace them, glad they were under warranty:deal: . the mechanic at the dealership told me i can't run b-30 but i could run b-5 or less. does anyone have any expierence on this.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
run as high of mix as you can, temperature permitting. nothing wrong with the stuff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how does temp affect it. does bio produce high egt's

·
Registered
543 Posts
nosliw;1572225; said:
run as high of mix as you can, temperature permitting. nothing wrong with the stuff.
Ditto... Summer I run B100... Winter B50....

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
002tallymax;1572296; said:
how does temp affect it. does bio produce high egt's

i mean outside temperatures. don't run so high a mix that it gells on you overnight.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Bio will gel at a warmer temp than does petroleum diesel. With the proper additives and depending on your climate you can run B100. I do here in Pacific NW.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I run the B-20 regularly without problems. I have also run 100% bio without any issues. I do live in Texas and temps do not go much lower than freezing.

Biodiesel will typically gel at higher temps than regular diesel. Use appropriate additives.

Keep an eye on your fuel filters because biodiesel will clean out the asphaltines (black stuff) in the fuel system, which end up in the filter.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Been running b20 since October 06' and no problems. I have run it down to mid twenties with no problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
B100 is actually better than any diesel mixture. It lubricates better, cleans better and is more enviornmentally friendly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guess I should say that when the temp gets close to single digits in F, biodiesel will gel. Right now there isn't anything you can add except for regular diesel to prevent the gelling.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Actually Jo,

Biodiesel clouds and gels at higher temps than that... It really depends on the oil you start with... Each different oil has a different cloud/gel point.

I use partially hydronated soy and it will cloud at 36-38F... That when I start blending with D2 (pump diesel) to lower my cloud point... As other have said, test your bio and test your blend...

Good Luck.

joheath;1573678; said:
Guess I should say that when the temp gets close to single digits in F, biodiesel will gel. Right now there isn't anything you can add except for regular diesel to prevent the gelling.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Bio diesel is great. Any blend of it is good. I don't recommend running B100 unless you know exactly where it came from and can get a proper test grade. There's a lot of bad batches floating around out there that have cost people a lot of money and headaches. The Biodiesel industry is about 30 years behing the Ethonol industry and far as the quality of manufacturing and proper grading. It's a great concept to run B100, but if it leaves you on the side of the road the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

If your in a climate that gets below 15-20 degrees, I don't recommend B fuels at any blend especially with ULSD. With ULSD/Biodiesel you have two fuels with unknown cold weather characteristics. I am in the fuel and lubrication industry and have seen a few companies deliver bad fuel to customers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I could not agree with BigBadAllis more!
After trying to mix the two in 20 deg temps I was left on the side of the road.
Great advice BigBadAllis.:exactly: :beerchug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Allis is right, stay away from it in cold temps. Water and fuel are not a good combination when froze. I run 20% soy oil all other times of the year, no probs at all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I run B20 everytime I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Last week our overnight lows were in the upper teens and lower 20's and I run B100 and have not had any problems. I make my own Bio and DO run an additive designed specifically for Bio and changes the cloud and gel point by a minimum of 10 degrees. The bottle does say that results of more than 10 degrees are possible depending on feed stock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If the Bio is blended right it will work great i run B11 in the winter I been Pushing it last few nights here @ 12 below my supplier says its good till 20 below my biggest problem is its stored in a tank out side so it will gel there first

·
Registered
976 Posts
mx2702001;1575833; said:
If the Bio is blended right it will work great i run B11 in the winter I been Pushing it last few nights here @ 12 below my supplier says its good till 20 below my biggest problem is its stored in a tank out side so it will gel there first
The main problem is that not all Bio/Soy diesels are created equal. Every batch may be different.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts