Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Can you learn to say "Hello Officer" a lot???

·
Registered
211 Posts
I replaced my system with a cat-back flowmaster kit. The loss in low in torque was terrible. IMO the engine is so well tuned for the amount of backpressure, freeing up the exaust resulted in a loss of performance. It did run better in the 4500-5500 range. I ran tests with my G-tech before putting a stock system back on to verify the seat of pants opinion. Tests before and after with and without the tuner confirmed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info alot of people had told me that.Some say u need it but not as much as the factory put on the the muffler so i thought a straight pipe mught be to much.

thanksagain

wayne

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the 2 in 2 out factory muffler removed. A buddy of mine who has a muffler shop put 2 glass packs in it. Couldn't realy tell any performance improvments, but it sure sounds mean!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't really think that any muffler change will result in much performance increase IMHO. With that being said, if you want noise like I did, you can get it without losing low in TQ. I replaced the 2 in 2 out factory with a flowmaster 2in and 2 out. The flowmaster is smaller diameter inlets so we followed with the smaller pipe straight out the back. From what I have read, 2 1/4 pipe for duals is large enough. Mine is loud but once at cruising rpm not bad. I don't feel that I lost any low end, but cannot prove that, but with the wester's I can break the tires lose easily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A friend of mine put dual exhaust on his 8.1 and it runs a lot better. It has straight pipes so all I can say if you do the same you need ear plugs in the cab at 55mph.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It will be loud as hell!!! I had straight pipes for a whole 30 miles. Then put 30" packs on. Still to loud. then I got a chambered muffler. Much better. But, yet still sounds mean!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have twelve inch glass packs. it is loud but in overdrive it tones right down. If you step on it it will rattle windows but still no tickets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts