Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear how it went for you. I had a few challenges

·
Registered
28 Posts
2fast2

Well, I got mine finished today. Started on it Thurs nite after work, then same on Friday. Took me a couple of hours to get my running board off and the Nicktane bracket in place. Then today I jacked up the back end, dropped the driveline and bent the shield down and could easily see where I had to go. Then I fought with top gas tank fitting for what seemed like an eternity, finally took a break and came in and re-read old posts in this section. Then went out and disconnected both ends in 5 minutes. Had a heck of a time tightening one of the filter head bolts (shoulda done it before I put the bracket up under). Routed the hose and cut too long of a piece for the top tank hose so had to go to the local parts shop for some more hose.

Put it all back together after pre-filling the CAT. Started right up, never missed a lick. Took it for a nice relaxing romp to make sure everything was going to hold. I spent a lot more time than really necessary but I'm one of those guys that takes 6 hours to do something that "a six year old can put together in 20 minutes".

All in all, I am happy I did it and could do it a second time much faster. I like the feeling of cleaner fuel.

Larry

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good!

Interesting that you and I both had the same experience with the fuel line engine up a bit short and needing to go buy more. No doubt enough is included to get the job done. but when it is run as the directions instruct (I'm very literal) it isn't quite enough.

And I certainly agree with the difficulty with the head bolts. IMO, the head should be bolted to the bracket before the bracket is installed to the bed rails. Even on the bench getting all three bolts installed and tightened will be tough, but on my truck with the hardware in my kit and the PC head I got, I never could install the 3rd bolt. Someday I'll get some different hardware and have at it again and will probably succeed.

I took a different approach to the access issue and lowered the tank a few inches, which was easy with my 4 post lift and hydraulic jack on the sliding jack tray. I didn't remove the exhaust or drive shaft nor did I have to bend or remove the shield from the side of the tank. I did remove the fuel cooler and let it hang free (2 bolts for the tank, 2 bolts for the fuel cooler) and that helped a lot with access. My fuel tank was more than half full when I did my installation yet it wasn't too difficult to lower or reposition afterward.

I prefilled the cat filter with diesel and had not a hiccup. Not a problem since, either.

I hope the others get going with their installations and post their experiences, too.

Jim

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
you have a lift?!?!?

i'm jealous!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autolifters M80 4 post lift.

http://www.autolifters.com/m80.html

Why did you have to bring this up???? I just got it a couple months ago and now it is $300 cheaper!
Story of my life...

Just kidding. They are always running some kind of promotion or another, but this one does seem a little bit better than what was running when I placed my order just before Christmas. Santa was good to me (and I'm actually Santa. shhhh.)

This lift is perfect for my truck (2500HD CC SB D/A) but I wonder if the CC long bed would even fit? I'm not sure how much longer the wheelbase is, but I don't have a whole lot of extra length left.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
wish i had room for one of those!

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
i guess you are far enough from LA

·
Registered
909 Posts
I grew up in San Diego, so I've had my share of quakes. I recall a series of quakes while backpacking in Yosemite. You could hear the trees shaking in the distance, then all around you, and moments later rocks falling from the cliffs. I'm sure it's nothing like Northridge, etc.

I understand there is a prediction for one sizable quake located somewhere between LA and Palm Springs in the coming months. The group predicting is supposed to have at least one recently successful prediction.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just finished mine last week. Wife got tired of seeing the box laying around, and the truck was finally down to below 1/4 full. I removed the shield, lowered the tank, unbolted the fill tube, unbolted the fuel cooler. No real problems with getting the line disconnected with the Lisle tool, slung fuel pretty good when I gave it the firm tug it wanted. Hooked the fuel line to the tank, raised it back and bolted it in, routed the line to the head/bracket side of the tank. Installed the bracket, and then the head. Hooked up both lines to the head, then the head to the bracket. Well lets just say that it only has 2 bolts installed, I don't even think I could have got the third one on with the bracket out. Then I routed the line over to the fuel cooler, hoocked it up no problem, put it in the clips and reinstalled the cooler. I filled the filter up a little to much with fuel and drizzled it down my arm trying to install it. Fired it up and no problems/no priming.

Now every job has a glitch. So mine came while I was guiding my wife out of the garage, the factory fuel hose got ran over, smashed one of the ends so I had to throw it in the trash. Guess there is no turning back now unless I can pick one up off someone here? Hope my dealer don't have any problems with the secondary filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts