Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new and have been reading the post alot. I have read numerous post saying this or that will cause tranny to practically spontaneously conbust. :lol: anyone ever actually have tranny problems. I know better safe than sorry. but I wan't to run my truck with POWER. not all the time, just every now and then. are the tranny's really that weak.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I'm new and have been reading the post alot. I have read numerous post saying this or that will cause tranny to practically spontaneously conbust. :lol: anyone ever actually have tranny problems. I know better safe than sorry. but I wan't to run my truck with POWER. not all the time, just every now and then. are the tranny's really that weak.
The stock Allison wont as you put it, spontaneously conbust.But yes depending on year ,you can do irreversible damage if abused.

But a simple tow type tune to retain OD while towing has proven to be the most safe way of enjoying the Allison stock.

I say year because GM has done it's best to refine the commercial qualitys of the Allison,the later years taking less abuse.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Super Diesel (I think!) had a built tranny that would last just a couple 1/4 mile races before it would blow. So Yes you can have to much power for the tranny.

A stock tranny will hold somewhere from a low of about 65 extra rear wheel horsepower, to as much as about 150 extra. (This depends on the year, and the tranny itself)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts