Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 F350 that I bought new it now has about 34000mi.For the past 2 winters it has started on the first turn of the key.I wouldnt plug it in till I thought it was going to be 10 Deg or colder.I dont use it hardly at all in the winter.Now when I start it with the temp in the 20s it takes 3-4 turns to it finally stays started.Even if I reset the glow plugs a seconed time before trying to start it.I just had the dealer do the 30000 mi service on it a couple of weeks ago. But nothing has changed It fire and runs a seconed or two then quits till it finally stays running. Dont want to drain batterys or put unnecasarily wear and tear on starter. I am using a winter blend of fuel. Whats up with this
Edited by: philcapt

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought mine with 75K on it. I thought they were suppose to start like that. To me the important thing is, it always starts.

I have notice if it sits for a week or two, it starts a lot harder cold as opposed to even 2 days.

Sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
<DIV>I have a 2003, it is a 6.0 litre, but it does not start right up either. On a cold day it takes a few cranks to get going and if you start off right away it does the "chug-a-lug" thing. I almost always make time for my truck. i start it and let it run for a short time and then drive it REAL slow until the temperature on the tranny gets up a little. Hope this helps.</DIV>
<DIV>rimshoes.</DIV>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you are new to diesels you have to change your thinking when it comes to starting one.

1. assuming there are now problems with you starting system

2. If its outside and cold don't expect it to start in 2 or 3 seconds, it might but it might not. You may have to crank for 15 seconds. if it is cold this will not hurt the starter.

3. double cycling the glow plugs will not help that is wives tail and acutally hurts your chances of starting. All that does it drain the batteries. Its never going to be any warmer then when the glow plugs first shut off.

4. When you prolong crank the engine for th 10 to 20 seconds the plugs will cycle in and build more heat in the combustion chamber . you generate more heat buy cranking and compressing air and fuel then you ever will with double cycling the glow plugs.

5. Batteries, batteries, batteries. This is the most important thing in starting a diesel. I've been at this for 20 years and here is what i have learned. If you can add water to the battery you don't want it. buy a sealed battery. " Delco "or something similar. buy the biggest one that will fit in your truck. Sealed batteries cost more but will not cause bad connections with acid. They never need water or service. They work I can vouch for it. They may be 10 or 20 bucks more but well worth it.

6. check glow plugs onece or twice a year. also the Glow plug relay. there are tons of web sites that tell you how to do it. just use a search engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts