Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself an early Christmas gift, a Valentine One radar detector. While hardwiring the radar I figured why not hardwire the inverter also since the interior is all torn apart

002_1.JPG
Valentine One hardwired. Radar detector comes with a hardwire kit. I already had power and ground wires in the overhead console from the gauge install. Unit turns on when I start the truck.

006_4.JPG
Inverter hardwired under the drink holder. Power coming from the underhood fuse block. Inverter switched on and off with a 30 amp relay. I used one of the switches in my Trippen mount for the relay.

005_5.JPG
Power outlet and remote mute buttom for the radar detector installed in drink holder

007_3.JPG
I'm starting to get a mess of wires under the overhead console.

·
Banned
3,234 Posts
Congrats on the V1. I have one hardwired in all of my 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice looking install at least from the outside. he he he. BTW my V-1 has saved my rear too many times to count. Hope it works well for you.:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice!

However, I'd probably shift the mounting location of the V1, just a tad.

To the front you are probably reducing the effectiveness of the laser and to a lesser degree, the radar sensitivity because of the shade grid. To the back, you're probably losing a little bit of the radar sensitivity because of the bulge of the overhead console. For optimal sensitivity, the horns and light sensors (behind the shiny plastic) should have an unobstructed view front and rear. :)

I love my V-1s!!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome setup is the mount for the V1 your own doing or did you purchas it somwhere? i have seen something for the corvettes that is similar to one

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mount is the suction cup mount that came with the unit. The radar detector is adjustable fore and aft allowing you to level it without any type of hinge. It is a great setup and I don't have to worry about leveling it every time I hit a bump.

kd8dam: I have read a lot about mounting lately and now exactly what your talking about. The dots on the front, from what I hear will have a minimal impact on the radar but possibly a little bigger impact on the laser. On the rear the laser sensor is exposed but the radar is slightly blocked by the overhead console.
I might play with the position of the v1 a bit, but I love the fact from outside the truck you can't see it. I'm not worried about the LEOs but more to the fact of thieves.

I had a chance to drive around town quite a bit today. The remote mute button install is awesome. With my arm on the armrest my fingers are only inches away from the button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice hard wire install

I am looking to do the exact job on my wife's new LMM. Did you use the V1 (I've had them for over 8 years and saved a bunch of $!) wiring that uses the "telephone jack" module or did you just "hard wire" it?
DFH

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I too hardwired my V1. However, I used the remote mount and installed it in the cubby hole. The V1 sits up to the right of the mirror...below the shading and low enough to see out the back. It is dark because the display is in the cubby hole. Plus, I can reach the mute button in the cubby hole very easily.
ac

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am looking to do the exact job on my wife's new LMM. Did you use the V1 (I've had them for over 8 years and saved a bunch of $!) wiring that uses the "telephone jack" module or did you just "hard wire" it?
DFH
I used the module (So nice to be given 2 differint cords). I used a second phone cord and soldered on a momantary switch for the mute switch and plugged it into the Aux jack. I may add the second display for my birthday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts