Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a quick question that I hope will have a quick answer. Lately, after my truck has been ran for 20 minutes or better, it takes atleast 30 seconds of turning over to crank after it has been shut down. Ive primed and primed the filter, but I never see any air. I have the Nicktane pre-OEM filter installed, but it didnt start doing this until recently. Its going to the dealer next week if there isnt a quick fix I can handle myself. Thanks for the input.

davis091

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine will roll an extra crank or 2 but nothing like you are describing.....

IMHO I would have that checked....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Couple of quick questions
1. How many miles since last fuel filter change
2. How many miles since Nictane change

These two questions are critical. You may be getting restricted. Could be time to change filters.

Just a thought.
Bill

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i've seen cat 0749 in pre-oem with over 18k and no problems starting. obviously you might have got something bad in your fuel. i would change both filters and see if the problem persists..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. Its been about 5000 miles since I changed both filters. Ill change them and if that doesnt help, she's going to the service dept.

davis091

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure how the hypertech works, but my 90 Juice makes the warm starts longer. Not 30 seconds though. Verified with Kennedy many moons ago. Starts right up with no Juice.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
craneman said:
Thats also one of the signs of a leaking injector.

That would not be good news!

I have a question for you....when you try to start when it is warm and it does not fire have you tried turning the key off and de-powering everything(opening the door and waiting for 15secs) then trying the start all over again? Try this next time if you do not mind.....this a problem and cure some are having with our Juice/Attitude setup.

Please let us know everything you find out.....and good luck!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill try to depower everything tomorrow. I have also found that just letting it sit with the ignition on for about 15 seconds helps it to crank faster. Thanks for all of the useful input.

davis091

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Like I said this is a problem with my truck.....I have been saying it was because of the Edge Box. But last night I heard a different sound coming from my engine.
Hope this is not a big issue.

Let us know what happens with the test today....thanks for you info.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
The hypertech is probably the issue. I know that I had a buddy with the hypertech in his truck and he was having stalling issues and starting problems, removed the programmer and no more issues. So not sure what to think and maybe there could be something else to it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
signs of injector or injection pump.there is a tech bulliten requires diag and if it leads to filtration you may have to pay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, i have reinstalled the stock program in my truck, but that didnt help the cranking issue. I also tried turning off the ignition after it wouldnt crank, letting it sit for a minute, then trying to crank it again. This didnt help either. It is going to the dealer monday. Is there going to be a big stink over my Nicktane filter if this is injector trouble?

Thanks for the help

davis091

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved - Cat filter was clogged after 5000 miles. I will have to watch where I buy my fuel. Thanks everyone for the insight on the situation.

davis091

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem not solved.....

I took it to the service dept. and it turns out that I am getting 8 new model injectors, which will be covered under the warranty. Hope this solves the problem.

davis091

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh man, wish I found this board before (as evidenced post#1 :) I think my truck is your evil twin - the dates almost match up. Same deal - started doing slow crank hot, then cold, then crank crank crank.. Got it back last Friday after a week in the shop with all new injectors. Runs great.

Al..

2003 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 D/A e/c s/b plus snugtog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts