Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a couple of problems. First is hard cold starts. It usually takes a several trys to get started and then it shakes with a ton of white smoke and an occasional DTC29 or 36. Plugged in, start up is less severe but sometimes difficult. I checked the glow plugs and voltage as stated in FAQ'S. FAQ'S says the plugs should be 1ohm or less. All of mine are 1.4 to 1.45 ohms. Are these junk? Voltage at the plugs is 11.3v. I checked and cleaned the batteries, grounds and wire terminals and had no change.
The second problem is the DTC36 at 1500 to 1700 rpm a short time after the torque converter locks up. The IP has 10000 miles. I replaced the bad fuel cap, FSD, fuel filter and checked the lift pump to make sure it works. It does but has been making more noise than normal.
Any ideas before I pull the IP to be checked and start replacing parts?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is your IP still covered under the 120,000 mile / 11 year extended warrenty?

If the mileage in your sig is current, it all depends on the in service date of the vehicle, which would be 11 years ago from today, or Jan 25, 1995.

I would check into that right quick, if you don't already know the in service date.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
What Chickenhunter said right away!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your IP still covered under the 120,000 mile / 11 year extended warrenty?

If the mileage in your sig is current, it all depends on the in service date of the vehicle, which would be 11 years ago from today, or Jan 25, 1995.

I would check into that right quick, if you don't already know the in service date.
I have had the truck since the end of 1994. Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you get the IP from? Did it come with a warranty?
I bought the pump from Midwest Fuel Injection south west of Chicago. I believe it was a one year warranty that expired 2 mounths ago. They told me because it has low miles on it to pull the pump and they would do some kind of 2hr. test on it and only fix whats wrong. I don't know whether they will fix it for free or not. I figured I would see if you guys had any ideas before I pulled the pump.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
They probably didn't change the armature shaft in the FSOL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They probably didn't change the armature shaft in the FSOL.
Should the armature shaft be replaced on all rebuilds or only if it looks bad?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Only if its worn/broken, and you can't just replace the shaft, you have to replace the whole armature. The small bolt that holds it together is NOT Serviceable to anyone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like I have a fuel sol problem. Could the DTC 36 be caused by a lack of proper lubrication from the winter blend fuel I'm getting? I've been reading about fuel additives for lubrication on this site. Maybe I should try some to see if this helps before I pull the pump.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. I added power service diesel kleen (silver bottle) to the fuel about two weeks ago and have not had a DTC36 yet. I was getting one every day. The truck also starts easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts