Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 k3500 with 4.10 gears. i bought the truck with blown motor. i rebuild a new motor because other motor broke crank and block. had pump checked at diesel shop they said it passed all test and was fine. have new fsd and cooler, crank sensor, boost sensor, glow plugs, gp controler and vacum pump. had my freind set timing and is on -1.8 and 3.2 to 3.8 at idle. the starting is bad if it isn't plug in it won't start under 32 but when starts has a ton of smoke mainly white. if i plug in it will start but still will miss and cough but not as bad. when doing all of this the stepper motor on pump is going up and down. i put a OTC mindreader on it andit says i have 9.50 degrees of timing at idle. my mpg have been around 10-12 driving around 2350rpm like granny drives. my egt is high to i see 1200 1300 under light loads on trailer boost is 8 to 10 at high and 5 to 6 light or criusing. when i put full vacum to waste gate it lowers egt to highs of 750 to 850. i dont get check engine light which seen odd. it seems to get to much fuel. the codes i got today are 78,84,93,94,98,99. thanks craig johnson

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sounds like the same problems I had.I know others with 1995 model years that do the same thing,White smoke at start up and once it is warm runs fine.I moved the optic sensor and all my problems went away.No more smoke at start,no more rich diesel smell at idle,more power\response,better mileage,ect.You don't have to move it much to get results.1 or 2 millimeters.If every thing else is good with the engine,Try adjusting the the optic sensor.Post results..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Optic sensor

How do you move it? Could it cause a no start or ack of fuel to the injectors?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i will try that. i'm guessing i move it to the pass. side. another thing i tryed was moving timing little bit to advance, but it didn't help so tryed to retard a bit that didn't nether. so i put it back where it was to start with and it is really bad now. i marked pump so i could get back to orginal point, but still won't run. it will start and quit now about three time before it wil run. smokes really bad i thought i could change timing little bit without scanner. the mileage is really bad now to 40 miles on 9 gallons of fuel driving on highway at 65 mph or 2300 rpm.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It worked for me.I plan on moving the sensor again to fine tune it,but am waiting to check fuel mileage first.My truck does not start as good as it should after the sensor was moved(needs extra cranking),but has no smoke at all at start-up and more power.It does start (un-plugged) at -25C though(fast heat plugs help).Are your injectors good?Make sure lift pump operational,glow plugs working etc.If all is good,I believe fine tuning the sensor will cure your problem.I have seen this problem on 95 model years only.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Optic bump made mine WORSE. So mark it well before you change it so if you can put it back if neccesary. BCBogger found his injectors to be the culprit on his 95, and I believe mine needs injectors as well.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Optic bump did more harm than good in my case, too. The optic bump procedure works. The problem is that it assumes that everyone's timing is set at factory specs. If your timing is already advanced, it will not have the proper effect.

Forget the fact that it may not have been set right at the factory or from the last IP replacement. Timing set wears over time and can result in departure from factory timing specs.

Bottom line is, you need to know what the timing is prior to bumping or correcting timing. This means getting plugged into a scan tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts