Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago. Now I’m getting hard starts - the engine will crank and not fire. I leave the ignition on and then hit start again, and eventually it will fire up. Once it does it runs strong.

The starting seems to be getting worse.

There is also a mystery oil leaking from somewhere near the radiator. Looks like engine oil, but it’s clear.

So.... Any guesses what’s going On?

I’m gonna say that the oil leak and the oil change are co-incidental, unless the mechanic happened to bump something. I trust the guy and he does a lot of work on diesels of all brands - the area is full of diesel trucks and construction equipment - so I don’t think he would do something stupid.

The hard start worries me. I’d have to flat bed it and that would get $$$$.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Could that clear oil be diesel ? Were the fuel filters changed at the same time ? Codes ? Do you hear the prime pump running ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel filters were changed in April. I’m wondering if I didn’t get a batch of bad fuel or water in the fuel; still trying to figure this out as I only bought it in February. How do you drain the water from the filter? Kinda hoping that’s the problem.

The oil doesn’t smell like diesel. I haven’t had a chance to look at it much. It leaves a spot about 4” across after sitting for a few days so it’s not a gusher.

135k miles.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a fuel pump on the fuel tank on a LMM? I thought there was only one pump in these? No lift pump, right?

So the fuel system would be pulling vacuum.

Is that right?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Is there a fuel pump on the fuel tank on a LMM? I thought there was only one pump in these? No lift pump, right?

So the fuel system would be pulling vacuum.

Is that right?
You have a prime pump that is located in the same housing as the primary fuel filter. This prime pump only runs for 2 minutes with key on - engine off. As soon as the engine fires it shuts off and then the CP3 injection pump is pulling the fuel from the tank.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
So could this also be an indication of a prime pump failure?
Even if the prime pump had failed it should still start and run as long as there is no air in the system. When you turn the key on do you hear the pump running ? Now would be great time to buy that gauge to help you diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When Advanced 4x4 did the conversion, they relocated the prime pump. They used spring clamps (ARGHHHH!) on the discharge of the pump. One of the clamps had slipped. $50 for rack time and two hose clamps later it’s fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts