Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got just over 2k on this rebuild and went on a short road/work trip bout 150 miles eachway got almost half way and for some reason engine had to spin awhile before started so thought maybe glows were going bad so when got home replaced glows cause 4 0f 8 ohms reading was over 5.5 the others were .5 or lower ohms started better but later in the day started to spin alot again before starting whats up with this?? before this past weekend just touch starter it would purrr now in am lost for words still runs good/power this starting thing bothers me please help

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Did you do the lift pump test?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Which glows did you use? The AC60's need a longer glow time than the obd1 system will give.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ditto LP test, fuel filter & fuel delivery. If its smokey then its probably getting fuel ok.

If its a little smokey on startup I'd check GP relay too (and wiring). I made up some extended test leads ( 10 ft of heavy speaker wire and alligator clips) for my DMM. I Sit in my truck with DMM and wires clippped to #1 GP and watch voltage while WTS cycles.

Is it spinning over real fast? Double check battery terminals haven't loosened. Side posts can look clean and good but not actually make good connections. Especially if batteries have been out a few times and posts are a little chewed up. I had this problem and swore I cleaned them good on reinstall. My passenger side pos post will loosen back up on me and I don't want to strip it tightening it so I have to check it periodically.

Timming correct? Fuel additive help?

Try and see if anything tends to effect longer cranking episode ie temperature related or fuel quality etc.

What all was fresh with rebuild? New IP, injectors?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My truck did the exact same thing, but cranking was noticably slow, tried glows first, helped but didn't take care of it. Had no after Glow either. Changed batteries starts good, has after glow and doesn't smoke very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts