Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 6.5 and its acted like it was missing and smoking a lot when first started after setting all night. It varys from sounding like missing and smoking from a few seconds till lately it might last as much as 45-50 seconds. Then it runs fine and no more smoke. I've checked glow plugs, glow plug relay tried a couple different pmd's 3 different ecm's and nothing changes its problem. And by the way glow plug and relay checked ok but I installed new plugs anyway and put a relay off a truck that was starting fine with no improvement. The only codes ever set were fuel response to long and to short but most of time it sets no codes. The injection pump, ecm and throtle pedal were all put on new less than 5k ago. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing? What else could it be?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Tim, As much as I would like to help you on this one.. I am afraid I am not the guy to do it. My 6.5 knowledge is limited. I have found that there are a great deal of knowledgeable people here that may be able to help... I would say lets post this in the 6.5 forum and see if we get any response.

Eric

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Check inside the fuel filter housing for metal particles. It sounds like the pump is going out again. A lot of times when the pump fails it sends metal throughout the fuel system. When replacing a pump the fuel tank must be removed and cleaned and the entire fuel system must be flushed out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know if all the punp mounted drivers are the samean is there any difference between years. I have two different ones and they ha different numbers on them.

Thanks for the info gmcsid. I have been debating on taking it in for service to a dealer but didn't want to pay their shop rate if it was something simple.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts