Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still Having Prob. W/cold Start. 93 C3500 6.5 Turbo Non Electronic. Had Rebuilt Motor Installed Approx. 6 Mon. Ago. Has New Glow Plugs & Controller,new Injection Pump,injectors,lift Pump,oil Pressure Switch & Cold Start Temp Switch. Checked Comp. Had 350-400 Psi. Removed Fuel Line From Inj. Pump &hooked Remote Elec.fuel Pump To Inj. Pump To Fuel Jug. Totally Bypassed Fuel System On Truck. Nothing Helps. Have Tried Advancing & Retarding Timing Doesnt Help. Glow Plugs Stay On Depending On Temp. Between 7-14 Sec. Blows Out Lots Of White & Then Black Or Gray Smoke. Has To Crank Multiple Times For Probably 10-15 Sec. Before Will Start. If Is Plugged In Starts Good So Thouht Was Probably Heat Concern So Have Tried 3 Sets Of Glow Plugs & 2 Controllers From Diff. Places 2 Sets From Dealer. Am About Out Of Ideas. Anyone With Any Other Ideas. Thanks In Advance For Any Help.

·
Registered
943 Posts
cranking speed? I think requires min 180 RPM, if less, starter could be suspect, and make harder to start.

Also, I recall reading the min compression should be 380, if you're down to 350, that may not be helping you any.

The white smoke though suggests timing may be retarded a bit too much,

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Think you need to check your plugs again. First use a test light to actually see if they are getting power. Yes> then pull them out and test fire them with 12 volts. They should get hot on the tip not in the middle like some plugs will do. If all else fails check the plug firing order.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It may seem too simple but I didn't see batteries mentioned. I used to have cold start issues at anything above 45 deg and had to plug in every night. All glow plugs tested normal. I replaced both batteries and it was instantly better; then switched to fast heat plugs and now have no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Forgot To Mention Has 2 New 1000 Amp. Batteries & New Battery Cables. Dont Know What Cranking Rpm Is . Havent Tried Starter Yet.what Are Fast Heat Plugs & Where Do I Get Them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone Mentioned A Relay That Will Keep Plugs On Longer. Anyone Know Anything About This And Where I Can Get One.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Hey careful there, don't extend glow time until you verify you have glow plugs that can handle extended glowing, what plugs did you install?

Also update your signature per welcome link with critical info needed to better assist you full troubleshooting of glow system also in FAQ,

fellas Iv'e been off line for a few days and I see several new guys missing this in their sigs

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Your problem could be between the batteries and the starter, loose post or connections never help or the starter is dragging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts