Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 10 K miles on my 03 and im running the Stealth and 325-60/18 tires. Just in the past month my truck is starting to shift really hard from 1st to 2nd and sometimes get a little sloppy on the other gears.

Anyone else experienced this? Does it go away?? Any sugestions? Is GM really going ot throw a stink about the tire size?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
611 Posts
Mike,

You should try 305/60/18" or better yet 315/55/18", then you will be closer to the stock diameter size.

Try this link:Tire Calculator

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I've had it happen lets say a few times ... Others too ,their just afraid to come forward ....

Shift'oholics ...

Mac

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
does it happen if you run the truck w/ stock tune? is you ally abused?

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
You need to have someone scan the trans with a Tech11(and make shure he is familiar with its use) and see where the pressures are as far as command. Sounds to me like maybe you have limped the trans one too many times(slipping second gear) and computer commanded max line pressure for that gear. If there is no detectable damage from the computers point of view, and you keep your foot out of it for a while (40 to 60 ignition cycles) it will relearn back to where it was. If i am correct, go get a Transgo shift kit and a good converter.

mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good to know! As far as I know I havent limped it but it is possible.... Just in the last month it started shifting hard. I have been driving like a white man since I noticed. Where do I find someone with a Tech11??? Do I take it into the dealer or will they try and void my warranty.

Mackin,

WHat did you do when it happened to your truck? Are you running stock tires?

Thanks for the advice guys!! Keep it coming!

Mike

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
<DIV>Lets see how can I answer this diplomatically and yet make it not confusing .....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>2001 Dually 4x4 ext cab 235/85 16 , not stock but larger .... IMO tire size is irrelevant ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have had 1-2 shifts that would take my radar detector clear off my dash and fling it right onto the back seat one shot .....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>This shift was intermediate and was prior to any stacking and or limping, zinging of the Allison transmission ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I could practical do it at will ... I could easily control or say manipulate the throttle to make it NOT happen .... If I came out of the whole fairly hard then allowed a LAZY shift occasionally I could catch the detector in my right hand .... That's your hint ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Since my Suncoast level V install I haven't felt it .....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>So not knowing your driving style past and present I can't offer advice .... I was able to subdue the issue with my driving style how ever ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>As for the lazy shifts Yes perhaps a tap cell reset or fast learn may help ...</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>By the way, when I removed C1 and C2 in my tranny back in September after I could no longer HOLD the 90 HP juice in OD from the continued abuse, they looked brandy spanking new .... C3 C4 well that was different story .... My tranny slippage issue was more towards the TC .... I spent as I do today most of my time with TC locked the majority of the time ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>So to confirm you have no clutch damage ,which I doubt highly is affecting this shift , I can't not knowing your driving habits past and present ....</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>

I've seen these shift characteristics in stock and enhanced trucks ... Obviously it is definately felt more when the power is turned up hence the flying objects in the cabin ....

Mac

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
My problem is the cell phone flying out the the cubbie by the vents. darn thing likes to bounce off the center console and land under the back seat!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mackin,

Thanks for the input. 85% of the time I drive like it was stolen and the rest I drive like a white man! Hopefully this will better help in y our advice on what to do. Is it something that will go away or do I take it in for warranty??? I have been driving very conservatively the past week... will that help it reset. I really appriciate your advice!!! It would really help if you can explain in lame mans term though. Im not the most experienced with this here stuff!

DP, isnt it just sad when your truck is so fast that things start flying off the dash!!!

Thanks again!!!

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I get a hard 1-2 shifft when truck is cold. If I accelerate very slow the shift is much better. After everything warms up the shifts are smooth. I feel they are even smoother when I have Attitude set to level 5.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

The 1-2 shift has always been intermediately quirky .... The higher the power level the more pronounced ... I have heard of many trucks that show this characteristic ....

Even today with the Transgo kit and additional clutch surface I will get a clean exchange most of the time other times it can be a mild bounce .... It is better then it has ever been, this I can say ....

All GM will do is put it in fast learn to reset the shift "coverage" .....

I would save my money and go for a level of transmission upgrade that will suit your needs .... This will make it less noticeable as I have found but still there at 800 plus feet pound of torque .....

I chalk it up to an Allison characteristic I can learn to live with ..... Again I'm assuming your experiencing intermediate quality of 1-2 exchange ....

Mac

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
HDDuece said:
I get a hard 1-2 shifft when truck is cold. If I accelerate very slow the shift is much better. After everything warms up the shifts are smooth. I feel they are even smoother when I have Attitude set to level 5.

Your feeling that cause the tranny is expecting the power but it's not there cause the engine isn't up to operating temp and the Edge Juice hasn't come on yet ....

But you have the right idea idea to make it comfortable .... I chose too add a Quad 215 to get me in the Dunkin Donuts line quicker in da morning .....

Mac

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Guys!!! Guess Ill give that a try and see what happens. So do you think its even worth going to GM and doing the fast learn mode?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. Im at 10,000 miles what fluids should I be changing and what filters or oil? Any other break in proceedures?

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
Scan the stupid computer and find out what is going on. Mack has a lot of experience but is not there to check it out. He is guessing, so am i. After all this guessing, where are we? Where are you? You are still in no mans land, you know nothing. Go to work. scan scan scan.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
bybycop said:
What is the best way to scan? Or who do I go to? I dont know the first thing about the codes.

Thanks,

Mike

The dealer can scan your transmission or someone with access to a Tech II ... There is Allison software available for the Autotap scanner but I'm not to familiar with it on how complex or what it actually reads ....

All you can do is visit your dealer tell them what is going on and hope for the best .... If it persist where you can duplicate your in if they cannot duplicate your ought of luck ... With persistence you may get a tech or service manager go for a ride with Tech II onboard ...

I have complained of the same condition and all they did was reset tap cells, which did not help ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am not positive if this is the same problem but i have had friends who have what sounds like the same problem except once in awhile theres feels like it is in nutral .The fix was to replace the 3rd and accumulator, and a new clutch plate, there is a notice about it and if the dealer will do a look up on there computer it will show up, the inside of the trannys were not honed correctly and they will not let the right pressure build, this has been happening in 1500, and 2500 with autos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts