Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my truck back today after having the suncoast IV installed, when the truck downshifts from 4th to 3rd it shifts so hard the tires bark in tow haul and its a little bit more mild in normal. They told me they reset the taps. Im not sure if it is still learning or not, it feels more like a problem to me. Any info would be great, thanks.

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
my ats did the same thing but got better as it learned. Mine would even do it downshifting to 4th from 5th. Makes you kinda grit your teeth don't it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my ats did the same thing but got better as it learned. Mine would even do it downshifting to 4th from 5th. Makes you kinda grit your teeth don't it.
Yeah its horrible, i almost turned around but i figured id give it a little time, how long did it take to smooth out

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
a few days. Where did you get your trans done at? they should have been able to put it in fast learn and reset taps for you.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
really, they should have pre drove it to learn it too.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
St joe diesel, they said they did reset the taps and do a fast learn, thats why im worried its something else.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
even though they did that , it sometimes takes a little time to learn , what tunes are ya running ppe ? edge? stack ?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ppe on 4 edge on 2

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If it were me I would give it a couple days and if it is still doing that then call them and tell them to fix it. Maybe one of the tranny guys like MIKEL will chime in here. All I can tell you is mine did do it but its getting better. I just got my truck back last week.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
IF IT IS THE PPE HOT ET it will take some time and dont be afraid to do a fast learn with the ppe tuner , it is a real bear to learn , unless you have the newest version , which it sounds like you dont , sometimes it is better to let it learn one tune at a time then go stack

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
We do not want to see harsh downshifts if at all possible. Unles you have a Tech 2 or Allison DOC you will not go into fast learn.
mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had my stage III for about a month now and the up shift from 3-4 is still a bit harsh but is has gotten WAY better from when I got it. I let the tranny learn on a lower power level first and then went up from there and it seemend to help doing it that way. A fellow member did the install and reset the TAPS and put it in fast learn but it still took a while for it to settle down. I however do not have any problems with down shifts. Kelly did say that every tranny is different and some do strange thing for a while till the TCU figures out what to do with the new added pressures.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i found out today since my truck is an early 02 they couldn't get it to take a relearn unless i got my ecm reflashed so ill have to let it work its way out.

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I paid a little bit more attention to it today and watched the edge monitor, it downshifts to 3rd really hard (barks the tires) when slowing down and immediately shifts back up into 4th then shifts back down it to 3rd as i slow down more, is this trying to relearn? I think tommorow im going to the dealer to get a reflash and then run a fast learn, im concerned it might damage something if I dont, if not my tranny my u-joints.

-Rob-

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
that just sounds painful and expensive.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Harsh downshifts will rip the C2 splines right off the P2 planets.
Oh thats just great, so does it sound like somethings wrong internally or is it the learning.

-Rob-

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Oh yeah and could i have done damage already and not known it? What are some of my options, thanks

-Rob-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts