Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to heat a ~1100 sq foot garage with natural gas. Northern Tool has a Mr. Heater (Big Maxx) 75K BTU for $400 shipped. The equivalent Reznor would push $800 shipped. I know Reznor seems a little more "high class", but is it worth it?

The benefits I can see:
1) Electronic ignition
2) 2" more clearance for my 8' ceilings
3) Maybe better efficiency?
4) Maybe quieter?
5) Maybe will last longer?
6) Maybe easier to install??

Not sure that this adds up to $300-$400, but then the install seems like a pain to me and I want to get it right the first time.

I did find one E-bay seller that has the Reznor UDAP75 for $540 plus shipping. I bet shipping will be $100, so we're at $650 vs. $400...

Thoughts?

Modines looked okay too, but they are significantly taller, and with 8' ceilings that's a big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
i have an older reznor in my shop. i bought it used about 6 years ago and it hasnt let me down. it is an older pilot light model. one thing to consider, will you be able to get pats for the cheaper one later on down the line, or is it a throw away? wil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
My local Lowes has all of their heaters clearanced. They had a nice natural gas heater rated for 1k square feet for $125 reqular retail was around 280.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
75k is a lot of furnace for 1100 sq ft with 8' ceilings. I heat mine with a 30k Reznor and its 1200 sq ft with 12' walls in front and in the back the ceiling is 20'. The Reznor was only $400. May be you can save more money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jasonlbz;1579049; said:
75k is a lot of furnace for 1100 sq ft with 8' ceilings. I heat mine with a 30k Reznor and its 1200 sq ft with 12' walls in front and in the back the ceiling is 20'. The Reznor was only $400. May be you can save more money?
75K is a little overkill I think. I originally thought I wanted 50K, but one furnace place quoted me a 60K and one a 75K. The furnaces are actually almost the same price anyway. Between a 45K and 75K is $50. So, with the bigger one I can keep it cool until I go out there, then get up to temp quickly.

I wish the furnace people weren't trying to fleece me so much. I was quoted $3000-$4000 for one of these things installed (furnace, easy gas run and chimney). :eek: I don't know how they justify that, so now I'll have to install it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Just an Idea but have you checked into the used oil burners/heaters I plan on one of these as I do my own oil changes It would save you some $$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timmy2500;1579703; said:
Just an Idea but have you checked into the used oil burners/heaters I plan on one of these as I do my own oil changes It would save you some $$$
The ones I've found are giant sized and really expensive. They are geared mostly for professional shops that generate a lot of oil. I'd be interested if I could find a smaller one, though it'd still be tough to get enough old oil for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
Mastiff;1571357; said:
I'm looking to heat a ~1100 sq foot garage with natural gas. Northern Tool has a Mr. Heater (Big Maxx) 75K BTU for $400 shipped. The equivalent Reznor would push $800 shipped.
Is your shop insulated? Where is your shop located (state) and what is the weather like there?

Are you wanting to heat it 24/7?

I put a Modine 200k heater in my shop which is 1700 sq ft, and is not insulated but does have a ceiling and shingled roof. I originally was going to put a 75k or 100k heater in it because they were rated for that many sq ft. I am glad I did not. My 200k btu heater can raise the temperature about 1 degree a minute. So when its 30 out and I want to get to 60, it takes about 30 minutes. I bought my heater new on ebay for $400.

I would definately get one that has forced exhaust so that you dont have to blow a hole through the roof for a "chimney". These will be slightly noiser but easier to install because you can vent out the wall with a 4" pipe.

Yes, the modies are pretty tall, it was ok for me because I have 12' ceilings and put it in a corner where I dont really go to. So you may be forced to go with a low profile reznor or HotDawg heater due to ceiling limitations.

http://duramax.onlinedesk.net/photos/index.php?album=/pole-barn/modineheater
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My garage is fully insulated, or will be. My plan is to keep it running 24/7 to about 40-45 degrees, then go up more when I'm out there. I'm in Iowa BTW.

And yeah, I'm planning on forced exhaust to go out through the side.

andrewfessler;1580657; said:
Is your shop insulated? Where is your shop located (state) and what is the weather like there?

Are you wanting to heat it 24/7?

I put a Modine 200k heater in my shop which is 1700 sq ft, and is not insulated but does have a ceiling and shingled roof. I originally was going to put a 75k or 100k heater in it because they were rated for that many sq ft. I am glad I did not. My 200k btu heater can raise the temperature about 1 degree a minute. So when its 30 out and I want to get to 60, it takes about 30 minutes. I bought my heater new on ebay for $400.

I would definately get one that has forced exhaust so that you dont have to blow a hole through the roof for a "chimney". These will be slightly noiser but easier to install because you can vent out the wall with a 4" pipe.

Yes, the modies are pretty tall, it was ok for me because I have 12' ceilings and put it in a corner where I dont really go to. So you may be forced to go with a low profile reznor or HotDawg heater due to ceiling limitations.

http://duramax.onlinedesk.net/photos/index.php?album=/pole-barn/modineheater
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
I have a 80 plus furnace that also can hang horizonal. I hang it and use flex duct for heat runs. They run in the attic of the garage & I made a cold air return right off the furnace w/ a filter.
Programable termostat. Nice to have electronic ignition.

The only down side is that home type furnaces will only exchange temps @ 30 degrees.

So room air is 30, the best it will do is 60.

What I do is use my 80,000 blower heater to pre warm the air going into the cold air return to speed it up.

My buddy has a hanging heater and my feet are froze in a short time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the Reznor 75K BTU hanging one. Just hung it up yesterday, but still need to run the vent and gas. I'll post back my impressions when I'm done.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top