Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have been reading for a while and tried to search a little but can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I am trying to figure out how much the stock clutch and flywheel can take. I keep seeing it referenced that it is limited but, where? I currently have a 4" exhaust, gauges, and the Banks Big Head waste gate actuator on. When I get home in the spring, I am looking to buy a tuner for it and figure out what air delivery system I want. I am not looking to be the fasted thing on the block, just faster than my Ford and Dodge buddies but, don't know how much I can give it before I worry about the clutch and flywheel. I regularly pull about 8000lbs though the mountains so, that is where I want the power from.

What are your suggestions of how much I can take?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Your looking for some one to go out on the lamb on this huh??

I can only suggest it would take what the Allison would stomach .... I do know someone who runs a TST comp box ,runs it conservative as a daily driver,but not afraid to use it when need be ,without issues, yet ...That's all I can offer ...

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mackin. I'm not looking to pin anyone down on anything, just figured there had a be a couple of handshakers on here that might have been through this. You guys seem to know exactly what the Allison will take, just thought maybe there was info on the manual too. I guess my next question, not moving away from wanting more answers to the first ones, what are people running for upgrades to the clutch and flywheel?

I was thinking about the Quad 135 or 165????????Edited by: camp

·
Registered
958 Posts
I tried a Bullydog 155hp for about 5 minutes, didn't get any clutch slippage but I have my doubts how long that would last.

I've heard 100hp is as far as you want to go with the stock flywheel/clutch. Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you, I'd like to hear one too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Camstyn said:
I tried a Bullydog 155hp for about 5 minutes, didn't get any clutch slippage but I have my doubts how long that would last.

I've heard 100hp is as far as you want to go with the stock flywheel/clutch. Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you, I'd like to hear one too.

Hmmm.. I don't have any practical experience here, but perhaps a thought regarding the new LLY numbers. Extra 10 HP which isn't much, extra 70lbs. of torque, and GM won't put the standard trans behind it....

As of now you can't order a truck with a standard, but another version of the LLY is supposed to be available sometime with the same performance numbers as the LB7.

For what ever that observation might be worth....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
No power mods yet. I too am looking. If you have it you'll use it. I'm trying to decide if a Quad 110 vs 135 is worth the extra money considering how little time I have to fool around ans durability concerns.

BTW...how is summer at the S pole??????

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Dumb question. What do you guys mean when you say "handshaker"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
manual tranny. I didn't get it at first either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeli said:
No power mods yet. I too am looking. If you have it you'll use it. I'm trying to decide if a Quad 110 vs 135 is worth the extra money considering how little time I have to fool around ans durability concerns.

BTW...how is summer at the S pole??????

This season at Pole is going well for me, thanks!! I love it here.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep is coming if someone else has any more please. So, does anyone know of good aftermarket clutch and flywheel to replace stock stuff with? I am sure I could get a Ram clutch that could take it as that is what I used to run in my rock crawler but, I don't know who to go to for a flywheel???????

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know Southbend Clutch is working on a clutch for the Duramax. I believe they already have a new plate that will hold %30 more hp but they have yet to complete and entire clutch. This is a very reputable company that have been making high quality clutches for years.

www.southbendclutch.com

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've been running a 180hp TST box for over 20k miles with my 6 speed with no problems yet. I normally run it at a milder setting (100hp) for driveablility reasons and to keep the soot levels down for my oil's sake. I have romped on it plenty though including recently racing my buddy's mostly stock Powerstroke up a grade in the Adirondack mts. I was towing 5k lbs. BTW he was empty and I beat him. Supposedly the stock clutch is pretty strong and I haven't had any slippage yet. The dual mass flywheel is the weaker link and though mine doesn't rattle yet many others have had problems even without running boxes. The flywheel is covered under the engine's 100k mile warranty. Some running big power have had custom 1 piece flywheels made for them and that seems to be the way to go. If my clutch and flywheel let go I'll either go that route or just get a new truck. Just for some variety I'd probably go with an auto for my next one. As far as no stick with the LLY, I'm sure GM would like to phase out the manual trannies all together. That way instead of buying somebody else's manual trannies the only transmissions they would be buying would be automatics from themselves. Edited by: GMCTRUCK

·
Registered
494 Posts
The clutch will take 450 rwhp for quite a while but after it slips once it will only hold around 300 to 350 rwhp. The flywheel greatly depends on driving style and if you run loaded or not. Wish I could be more specific but I have seen flywheel's last very well and also seen them fail in 3k miles. I have solid flywheel's made but I'm still waiting on a disc to be made.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I think you guys have answered what I was looking for and I will be able to make an educated choice from this. This board is great

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am running the 135 quad and it holds but the dual mass flywheel makes some racket. The power is great until about 4th gear and up and the flywheel sounds bad. In the low gears clutch has no problem. CPMac, I am interested in a clutch setup. Let us know when you have something.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Does anyone here have driveshaft wobble on take off in second gear? Ive made a post in the Dmaxallitech section.

Ive got it, and it sucks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts