Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if any of you Dodge people ever break down and need a tow, just call me and I'll bring my 6.5 right out. It seems to have been making a habit of towing Dodges back in here lately.):h Only this time I snapped some pics before we unhooked it.

tow1.JPG

tow2.JPG

tow3.JPG

I know the 6.5 won't hold a candle to a Cummins when it comes to brute stength, but damnit let me enjoy my moment in the spotlight!!!!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
LOL you right damnit......

·
Registered
962 Posts
There aint nothing wrong with a 6.5. Its just hard to get power out of them, but as far as reliability they hold up pretty good. :cool:

Eric

·
Registered
771 Posts
My friend has a 96 6.5 dually with 430,000 miles on it and has only needed to replace the turbo. It delivers Big Foot campers for a living, one on the deck and pulls the second on a trailer, that about 9000lbs total and a lot of wind resistance. I had been thinking of getting rid of mine, but after him telling me this I think mine has anouther 170,000 in it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm tickled pink with mine. I had always been told how horrible they were, but when we found this one, my wife loved everything else about the truck so I had to deal with a less acceptable engine. But after having it for almost 2 years now, I am totally happy with it. Only problems I have had was a bad crank pulley(was bad when I bought the truck), replaced the starter, and the vacuum pump. Only thing wrong with it now is the glow plugs...they are shot and need replacing. Other than that, its great. Pulls my "steel" horse trailer and 2 horses excellent(I am not high enough in the ladder to afford an aluminum one yet).
The hell of it is that if it wasn't for this website, I would have bought a 6.0 powerjoker in a heartbeat-:t ......WHEW!!!! that could have been detramental.
Its not a "max" or a cummins, but it serves my purpose perfectly.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My 6.5 has been very dependable other than eating glow plugs and low on power right from new, which I hope the good fellows on the forum can help me out with that. I think they are a pretty good engine, the only problem comes from people driving them like a gas engine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
farmboy, isnt that the dodge "mail wagon" you haul USmail in???!!!!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
My 6.5 has been very dependable other than eating glow plugs and low on power right from new, which I hope the good fellows on the forum can help me out with that. I think they are a pretty good engine, the only problem comes from people driving them like a gas engine.
You got the wrong glows in her need to upgrade

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
farmboy, isnt that the dodge "mail wagon" you haul USmail in???!!!!
Yep sure is. Tranny developed an oil leak that only leaked while driving down the highway therefore I never saw a puddle underneath it while I was parked to alert my attention to it. Of course the rest is history after the tranny oil all leaks out. My boss, the ACTUAL owner of the truck, is beating himself up cause he had it out at his house doing some service work twice recently and didn't check it either time. Got a very reputable company in Tulsa to build him a new one and deliver it to his house on Tuesday for less than $1400. So now I'm in the spare truck which looks very similar to mine cept its a '94 with 516,000 on it and the engine in this one has NEVER been touched, its all origional and runs GREAT.:ro)
BTW, I had to tow that truck nearly 40 miles back to his house.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Turbine Doc what would you suggest for a glow plug upgrade? I've noticed some fast heating ones from SS Diesel, would these work good? Sorry for getting off topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts