Diesel Place banner

Had my fuel filter changed and truck idles funny..

976 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr X 
#1 ·
So this morning I go to the dealer for an oil change and decided to get the fuel filter changed also. When I left the dealer everything was fine. Drove to a friends house about 120 mi. away. As I exited the freeway and came to a stop the truck sounded like it was gonna die as the idle went low. I think nothing of it and go to my friends house. I parked the truck for about 2 1/2 hrs. and decided to go home as I go to start the truck it has a hard time and when it finally started it idled very low and seemed like it was having a hard time staying on like it wasn't getting enough gas. So I give it some gas and it was ok as long as I was giving it gas but as soon as I let the gas go it idled low. Now I'm thinking it must be the fuel filter. Anyone on here have this happened to them either from the dealer or from changing the filter themselves, if so is ther anything I can do or try? :help: Is there a wrong way to change the fuel filter? Could it not have been primed enough? :(

#2 ·
There is a wrong way. There is an oring inside. It is real easy to roll the oring or pinch it. They can even forget to take the old one off. The bleed screw on top can be loose also or the filter isn't tight enough. The prime is just to get it going. After the prime shouldn't need it anymore unless air gets in the system. If there is a slow leak you will probably see it in the morning. Make sure if it doesn't start and you prime the filter that you open the bleeder screw far enough. I made the mistake once and thought it was open enough and made for a very hard filter change.

#3 ·
Thanks winter but I don't really wanna mess with it until I bring it back to the dealer. They might say I messed with it and did something wrong. Thanks again.

#4 · (Edited)

#5 ·
Just got back from dealer and here's what on the work order. (Performed inspection and unable duplicate concerns at this time. Performed fuel injector balance and found #1 & #6 at borderline for replacement and FPR inspected OK at this time. Vehicle may have has plugged fuel filter and may cause idle concerns. Installed stadyne fuel additive and recommend installing remainder stadyne at next fill-up). I drove home and seems fine. It only happened after it's been sitting awhile. Idles Ok after truck is warmed up.

#6 ·
May sound like a bigger problem than just a filter. Seems like if all they did was a filter change that the filter would be the problem. The filter shouldn't care if the engine is warm or not unless very cold. Bad tank of fuel? If there was an air leak in the system you would probably have to prime to get started. More so you would see it if it was sitting for an extended period of time. Think I have seen some of the same symptoms on the site with fuel pressure regulator or pressure pump. I think most of their problem where around all the time until resolved though. Personally I would still suspect the filter.

#7 ·
Drove the truck around after letting it sit. Starts and runs fine. I guess it's fixed for now. I'll just have to drive it and see if it happens again. Thanks again for the replys winter.

#8 · (Edited)
I changed my Nicktane CAT 7049 filter then went to dealer for the fuel filter recall. Noticed it was a little rough starting. So I bled it using the OEM fuel filter primer. Got a little foamy stuff and then got it to run clear. Problem solved. It's a good feeling to know that I've got the Nictane CAT filter, plus, an improved OEM filter, both doing double filtration duty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.