Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now let me paint the picture of how every thing was
1 - Wife and kids in the truck ( they know not to touch anything when I am flashing)
2 - We were a little late allready, on our way to town
3 - Reason we were going to town was to pick up the mother in law

So I think I will put a new tune in before we leave ( simple concept, right.. I will be done in no time, right....wrong )and it seemed to only flash for about 30 seconds and said the flash failed...:eek: ecm in unknown state :eek::eek:. I mutter something under my breath ( kids in the truck) and the wife is now looking at me and asking if everything is okay....I tell her ( Standard answer when I have no clue...) " everthing is fine honey, just another minute"

Now the truck will not turn over, turn the key and nothing, the only thing happen is the mystifying drop in temperature coming from the passenger side of the truck, it was not too bad because the glare from that side seemed to heat the drivers side.

So my mind is trying to racing a mile a minute to solve the problem, but it is being bogged down by all the "Bull****" excuses that I am trying to come up with just in case....

So I try to test flash the stock tune back to the ecm, But I get pop ups saying the " ecm is unknown state but I can try to reflash" .... ohoh... but I still try..Test flash #1 fails, Test flash #2 fails.
Still get the same results, flash failed, ecm in an unknown state.

At this point I start to get the " why do you have to mess with something that is not broken" speech, I give the only answer that I can at this time.. " Everthing is fine honey, just another minute"

So I say the hell with the test flash, if the ecm is done, its done... time to try flashing her for real...And with a great sigh of relief the flash worked with no problem, truck started up...." See honey, I just needed a couple of minutes"

So I imagine there was a error in the tune some where, now to spend some time and find it.

On a side not do people on here keep a spare ecm as a back up just in case one fails so you can just swap ecm's to get the truck running?

·
Registered
107 Posts
first time that happens it scares the holy crap out of you. but EFIlive is the safest flash program around, just turn off ignition for a good 60 sec and try again and it will take. I had a customer that killed the ignition during the ecm erase mode and boy did that suck. but after a few deep breaths and powering down the ignition for a while and starting over it worked like a charm. I doubt there is anything wrong with the tun file, more likely a power issue or cable issue.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
I was at a rest area in the middle of nowhere, and thought "I'll try a different level and see what the fuel milage will be" And got the same senario you just went through, only in the middle of nowhere. The thought of Million dollar tow bills racing through my head, along with WHAT IS WRONG and what is this gonna cost me now thoughts, but low and behold, it all started working and returning itself back to stock. NOW that was a relief, especially since the truck was totally unresponsive!

Just thought I would share my scare of life story...

Misery loves company!

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali cc dually
697 Posts
I get that "why are you jacking around with your $25,000 truck" all the time. You should have seen the look she gave me when I cut a hole in the bed for the stack!!!:eek:

·
Registered
817 Posts
The dreaded no-start, wait a couple minutes thing has happened to all of us.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I feel better now. The first thought is the ecm is dead, glad to know what happened and the fix is easy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Makes you feel real stupid when the owner of the truck is sitting next to you
best thing to due is shut ignition off wait a few minutes disconect efi live, reboot computer and start all over.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah scared the hell out of me once too

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Glad to see you got up and running again.
You know in EFILive we have a 'wife sitting next to me' mode and a 'in a rush to get somewhere' mode. Anytime either of those is tripped we cause the flash to fail ;) , because, what other times does it happen?

It's a nice feeling to have the ECM back from the dead when you turn the key and it runs again :bounce:

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I feel your pain, I had one die on me. Atleast you have a LLY, you can do a full re-flash and bring the computer back if something major goes wako. You can look in my garage and see my truck getting towed home.

EFI Live is amazing!!!

Bentley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts