Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay gang, I need some help/advice here. I got two of my chrome H2 wheels yesterday (DAM! UPS!!!)...so I decided to go ahead and have them mounted up and trim the valance and such for proper fit.

Here is the problem, the center of the wheel measures 8 3/8 inches where the center cap should sit. However, the outside diamater of the Chevy center cap is 8 1/2 inches. I know I need to knock off the four "teets" off of the back of the center cap, but for the life of me I cannot get the cap even remotely close enough to start the plastic caps on the lugs (they don't even touch the tip of the lug nut). HELP..... What am I missing? I would really like to have the front end complete before UPS delivers my wheels on Monday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You know you have to cut the teets off then do it.
That's what keeps the plastic lugs from engaging.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, let me ask you this...does the center cap fit INSIDE the hole of the H2 wheel or does ride on the outer lip?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bubz the centers you are using (8.5"dia.) are off the factory steel wheels. The center Hoot used (8.125"dia.) and others are using--I think, are off the factory aluminum wheels. See how there is a half-round at each of the plastic nuts in Hoot's pic and yours caps are just round. I think problem is your centers are the wrong ones, you need the centers from a set of factory PYO's. Hope I'm right.

Josh

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo!! Thanks Hoot and Josh!!!! Now, I'll be looking for new centers...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bubz glad to help. Maybe there are some on ebay for cheap.

Josh

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
WanaDmxsub said:
hoot & GMCSLEHD

Just wanted to say thanks, and give credit where it's due, for the info.

I'm trying to help a guy out over at the page, but everytime I post a link, so that he can read it himself, it gets blocked.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001544

Been there, done that.
Send him an email to give him the link. I have done this a few times. I guarantee he won't regret checking out the Place!

·
Registered
432 Posts
BUBZ, I have a nice set of 4 PYO caps for GMC. Not sure if decals can be swapped. Not far away from you.

Email me [email protected] if interested in them. Make you a deal.

Regards,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bubz,
I had the same problem since I have the chrome wheels. If you have a band saw and some patience you can make small cuts all the way around the edges and then nibble these little pieces off the outside edge. I had tried grinder at first and found that under the "chrome" there was in fact copper. I have attached a picture of mine. You can't tell they were trimmed.
Hoagie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts