Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have learned that the H2 rims are actually cast vs. forged I am kind of worried. I am running 285 BFG's and am wondering whether there is any problem towing an 8500lb fiver.

I know that I am slightly over GVWR with this fiver behind me considering the truck weighs in at close to if not over 7000lbs. and the fiver puts about 1700lbs. on my rear axle. Plus the extra weight of the soon to come transferflow fuel tank.

Anybody towing fivers with these wheels and having any problems? I might have to see if I can find a buyer for them and go back to stock if any other issues arise. That will stink considering I love the look of the truck but I need to maintain the towing abilities.

Curtis

·
Registered
644 Posts
Curtis, I wouldn't worry about it, though I haven't pulled a 5'er with my H2's on, I have pulled a dump trailer weighing in at 8-10K more than a couple times. As always do as you wish and do not make your decision on my post, what worked on my truck may give different results on yours.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm going to contact Alcoa directly to get a firm answer on this. I looked at the link on another post from a dealer printing a list on specs for an H2, stating that the rims were cast. I'll have to get a more authoritative answer than a dealer, since most misquote, misprint, misdiagnose, and mishandle most everything involved with the vehicles they sell at one time or another. What bugs me is the boxes I've recieved rims in say "Forged Alcoa Rims" in big print, unless they pack all thier rims in the same box, makes me think. I actually had contacted Hummer directly and requested info on the load rating on the rims.....they told me they didn't have that info, ask a dealer
. (Dealer didn't know)

Mike

(on edit)
I sent a communication to Alcoa, hope to be hearing from them on Forged vs. Cast, load rating. I'll keep everyone posted!

Edited by: VFRRider

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, I have done the same thing. I contacted Alcoa via email and tried to get the specs on the rims. They told me to contact a dealer so I did that.

The parts department at the dealer had no clue and the service manager made the following statement: "What kind of vehicle has a higher GVWR than a Hummer". I was about to ask him whether he was just stupid or just liked to believe that the Hummer is the best and heaviest duty vehicle made but had to hold back. Although I called a Hummer dealer in Yuppyville so maybe they are just paying the idiot money although he knows absolutely nothing.

Curtis

·
Registered
125 Posts
Go to www.hummer.com - then click on H2 - then click on features - Hummer lists the wheels as 17" cast aluminum.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Correct. Forged, chromed wheels are available from Hummer/GM as an aftermarket accessory, but the widely available take-off wheels at the low prices are the standard cast wheels, which are "standard" on all 3 trim levels of the Hummer H2.

Who would spring for the $400 per wheel aftermarket accessory forged wheels and then turn around and sell them for $250 for a set of four???

·
Registered
754 Posts
I found the Hummer page link indicating they are cast. Don't know why Hummer couldn't tell me that. I'll still wait on Alcoa for a spec on the ratings on the rims. I have a heavy 5th and want to know what they are rated for also. I spoke to a fellow who sells chrome rims, he sez he has the standard rims chromed. Go figure.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, here is the scoop from Alcoa.

Mr. Bergeron -

The aluminum wheel Alcoa makes for the Hummer is hot forged - not cast. This 33 pound wheel has a 2750-pound maximum load rating.

Thank you for your interest in Alcoa wheel products.

Mary Grubert
740 374 8084 x 310
[email protected]

Now, provided that the wheel we are talking about is actually made by Alcoa I guess we can put this thread to rest. So, if the wheels can carry 2750lbs. each we should be fine with our trucks. Mike, did you ever receive any reply from Alcoa?

Curtis

·
Registered
187 Posts
It would seem that 2750 lbs rating would decrease you gawr? Not a big deal for most but maybe a large deal for those with fifth wheels and goose necks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
****NEWS FLASH****

Spoke to an Alcoa rep today. Had a nice conversation, very helpful fellow. Well, the long and the short of it is..

Alcoa does not make the Standard H2 rims. They make the Forged optional rims..not the standard or chrome ones...

Alcoa rim..

The rims we all use are made by Superior Industries, I have a contact person I will be speaking to tomorrow....

I'll keep everyone posted..

(thanks to those who posted and questioned my earlier statements about believing they were forged..thats why this forum is so valuable, open exchange of ideas which benifits us all in the long run
. It appears that the dealers were putting the stock rims in the Alcoa boxes that the replacement rims came out of. At least the Alcoa rep was happy to hear so many were swapping out rims
)

Mike

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nice to get some solid answers from direct sources for a change. Sounds like I'm not the only one that was convinced that these were forged Alcoa wheels before now, don't remember where that originated from though.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This will be interesting. Ask them why Hummer isn't listed on their website as a customer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a bit purturbed over this at this point. I am pretty sure now that I will end up taking these wheels off during the summer while pulling my fiver. I also thought these were manufactured by Alcoa since mine arrived in Alcoa forged wheel boxes.

Guess I could possibly sell them for perhaps a big loss. Guess I will wait and see what comes of the conversation tomorrow.

Curtis

·
Registered
868 Posts
VFRRider said:
Alcoa does not make the Standard H2 rims. They make the Forged optional rims..not the standard or chrome ones...

(thanks to those who posted and questioned my earlier statements about believing they were forged..thats why this forum is so valuable, open exchange of ideas which benifits us all in the long run
. It appears that the dealers were putting the stock rims in the Alcoa boxes that the replacement rims came out of. At least the Alcoa rep was happy to hear so many were swapping out rims
)

I almost feel bad about making the group aware the standard H2 wheel is cast. I thought everyone knew that. Thanks for not shooting the messenger!!

Ray

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ray,

Don't feel bad, I would rather be aware than be caught unaware when my rims self destruct pulling my fiver.

Curtis

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
curtisb said:
I am a bit purturbed over this at this point. I am pretty sure now that I will end up taking these wheels off during the summer while pulling my fiver. I also thought these were manufactured by Alcoa since mine arrived in Alcoa forged wheel boxes.

Guess I could possibly sell them for perhaps a big loss. Guess I will wait and see what comes of the conversation tomorrow.

Curtis
Guess where the PYO wheels are made...

·
Registered
868 Posts
I don't know if all the PY0 wheels are made in Hungary, but I did see that on the take-off set I purchased last year.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not for nothin but 2750 lb per wheel is equal to 11,000 lbs GVW. Our Single rear wheel trucks are 9200 and 9900 respectively.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
But the rear axle is rated for 6084# which is 584# over the wheel rating.

I still haul and tow as much as I want and haven't hurt them yet.

It was nothing to throw 100 bags of beans (50#) in the bed and have 110 gal. of fuel in there too.

I run too much tongue weight on my trailers but they tow good and it helps out in the mud.

Someone on hear responded before about truck pulling w/ the H2 wheels and a lot of HP.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Another fellow posted a pic of his truck hauling a 27k (if I recall correctly) gooseneck trailer with the H2 wheels on, back end sagging really good. If that didn't crush 'em I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts