Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this off with B*llSh*t!! </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>
I guess my 02 2500HD is different than most others. I picked up some H2 takeoffs with zero miles - getting them from <st1:State><st1:place>Colorado</st1:place></st1:State> to somewhere near the Canadian border where I could pick them up was a challenge - but I'll leave all that out. It was all worth it when I drove down and took off the shrink wrap and saw the pristine condition! Sweet
</v:imagedata></v:shape>
Over lunch one day I put the rear wheels on knowing there'd be less work back there. They went on and didn't require any trimming – Sweet
. That evening I thought I'd finish up with the two fronts - I got under and cranked the keys 4 turns on each side which raised the frame about an 1" or so. Then I jacked it, pulled the old wheels and then jacket some more to get the new 35s in. That's when I knew I was in for some serious work.... I was about 1/8" from the font of the tires to the edge of the bumper when I turned the wheels -- and there was big time contact with the wheels on both the front and the rear of the wells. I started by cutting 1/4" off both sides of the airdams - then maybe another 1/2" - that looked OK but the space from wheel to bumper really had me worried (for some reason it

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice post. I have an 03, and I believe the bumper mounts different. I moved it forward 1" after fabricating extentions also, and had to trim just a smidgen off the air dam at the lowest point, only on the beveled edge. Can't notice it. I have the "gap" also, but if you don't know what your looking for you cant notice it. It bugs me tho cause I know its there. I did away with the GM accessory front mudflaps, wasnt any way I was going to get them to fit. I'm probably going to have my rockers and lower panels line-xed so I dont have to worry about chips and rust.

MikeEdited by: VFRRider

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
EnerMax;

Keep an eye on your CV joints. the crank up has changed the angle on these and will impact their longevity. Lots of threads regarding this subject on 4x4 forums.

·
Registered
352 Posts
VFRRider,

Sounds like you might want to start manufaturing the spacers to move the bumper forward and offering them with H2 Wheels and tires that you offer. I know that I would be interested in a set since I will be installing a set of H2 Wheels and tires and I do not have access to the equipment to manufacture a set should I need to move my bumper forward.

·
Registered
939 Posts
EnerMax-

Been out for a while, just saw this the second time around. Your welcome for the help, I may be in touch with you later on for info on your bumper brackets. Pics look sweet!! Pretty soon I may find myself taking the plunge as well!!

Bob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good seeing this thread, I expect delivery of my new H2 wheels and 35's any day now. I have an '01. Planning to move the bumper out as well, was thinking I could get it far enuf out to eliminate trimming the air dam, but now see that may not be practical.

My biggest problem will be the mudflaps integrated with the Dee-Zee running boards. Might have to fabricate a much thinner replacement flap as the leading edge sticks forward pretty far. I'll have before and after pix in case anyone else is planning the same thing.

Sure would like to see a pic of the brackets you made to move the bumper out. Any possibility?

Must admit these H2 takeoffs are a pretty cheap way to go, I couldn't replace just the tires for what I paid for the assemblies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts