Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric:

In the owner's manual and in my Duramax supplement both call out GM part number 88958860 and the 'only' fluid to use in the hydraulic clutch.

The problem is you cannot get the fluid. I have tried several dealerships and even called the GMC owner assistance line and the part is just not available, although it is in the system.

What are you using for the hydraulic clutch? I need to know as the fluid level in my reservoir is down to 'Min'.

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I note that you said to use Dot3 spec brake fluid, would Dot4 spec cause a problem? Will they mix OK?

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
The cap on my slave cylinder resevoir says DOT 4 ONLY! Are you sure it takes DOT 3? Mine is a little low right now and I need to add some fluid.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If it says Dot 4 then make sure you use that. They are not compatible. I thought I had heard Dot 4 was what it takes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

I wish GM would get their act together on this. The top of my reservior does not say anything!!! It has a little symbol that tells you to refer to the manual. In the manual they tell you to use 'only' part number 88958860 in the 6-speed configuration. Now, just try and find that fluid anywhere. After many calls to GM parts people, GM customer service, and this posting to DMAT, I went ahead and added Dot 3 fluid. Dot 3 fluid is specified for 5-speed configurations (GM part 12345347).

GM Parts, GM cust assist, and DMAT said to use it, that's good enough for me.

Later....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the part number is listed in the parts system, but is not available anywhere. According to GM it has not been released...

Later...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts