Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals.

Thought i might share this info for what it's worth.

Heads up to anyone buying this part from an aftermarket source.

I want to upgrade my water pump so i had my friendly back yard mechanic phone the local parts store for the 97 H.O. water pump to put in my '95. I explained to my mechanic that it had to be the 130 gpm H.O. pump. He called me back to say that the pump did not have H.O. stamped on it like i told him it should. He had the parts guy bring out a pump for the '95 model year and compared the two. He noticed that both pumps had the same number of impellers and the only difference he could see was that the 97 pump had one impeller that was at a different angle. He could not confirm with the parts guy whether that 97 pump was 130gpm. So he called the company that made the pump and they claim the only pump that is H.O. is the one for the HumVee, which they did not have a listing for. So... needless to say i did not get that pump. I wasn't sure if it was 130 gpm so i didn't want to take a chance. Has anyone tried to buy a 97 pump from a place other than the dealer? Could that pump have been 130 gpm? or was it 87gpm. It's a good thing i told my mechanic what to look for or else that pump would have been in my truck. btw the dealer couldn't confirm there 97 pump was 130 gpm either.So how do you know. I wanted to have the pump in ASAP cuz i'm leaving in a few days. I just wanted to warn others of this possible problem.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The HO pump has same number of vanes as the standard pump - like the wimmin always say, size is everything, folks - the HO impeller is ~5/16" larger diameter, possibly thicker cross-sectional, giving the increased flow

·
Registered
953 Posts
The HO pump also has "HO" stamped on the housing. See photos - notice the "HO" stamped on the housing.

Sincerely,

Rob

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
From whence came that pump, so blackly stained and teflonly sealed? And you coulda flipped it over and posted a pic of the suspect impeller for posteriority's sake...............

·
Registered
257 Posts
When i bought my engine in late 06, i got a pump from pennisular with the engine that was noticeably different from the ho pump i wlas going to install. I think there may be three different pumps out there. Being as how penn only buys engines from gep, which are strictly for the hummvee, it makes sense that the hummer pump would be the highest output. Call Matt & ask.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I bought mine at my local Part Store, and it was aftermarket, and yes, It has the "HO" stamped into the housing like the pic show above.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Several years back, on the other forum, I did some R&D on the 6.2 and 6.5 pumps as supplied by GM, Pen, and the aftermarket - all those good pumps with the cast-iron impellers are made by the same vendor for GM, Pen and some aftermarket houses - Napa even supplied them in the vendor's marked boxes, incl the cast-in raised HO and GM p\n - are some cheap ones made elsewhere with thin light-weight castings and stamped steel impellers, not difficult to spot and reject

·
Registered
953 Posts
From whence came that pump, so blackly stained and teflonly sealed? And you coulda flipped it over and posted a pic of the suspect impeller for posteriority's sake...............
Ask thee whence it came, sir? Render thy inquiry with a civil tongue in thy head and perchance thy knavish eyes will yet see. Yeah, verily it cometh from West Virginia. Cease thy protestations lest the General send thee to the dark realm.
:joke:

What do you mean about 'blackly stained'? Does it seem unusual in some way? It appears to be from GM, as it is in a GM box, and was shipped to a GM dealership in WV.

I received this in the $50 box of mystery parts from my neighbor, along with that IP you guys saw earlier.

Sincerely,

Rob ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i guess the pump that my mechanic had in his hand was ok then? He said he did not see an H.O. stamp on the pump. Jeez i could of had this done already. I'll have to go and get the pump myself so i be sure it's the right one. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Measure the impeller diameter on your pump, compare it to the new pump - if the new one is HO (and should be noticeably marked so) the impeller will be ~5/16" larger than yours

My point was that you should be able to get the HO w\p aftermarket - iirc, it's the '98 or '99 pump, rather than the '97 - the dual t-stat was the '97 upgrade

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ask thee whence it came, sir? Render thy inquiry with a civil tongue in thy head and perchance thy knavish eyes will yet see. Yeah, verily it cometh from West Virginia. Cease thy protestations lest the General send thee to the dark realm.

Wow! I thought you guys punted Olde England out of W. Virginia about 1776, nevermind the fact they couldn't have survived the Texas heat!! We just bored them politely, and eventually they left.:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
369 Posts

Wow! I thought you guys punted Olde England out of W. Virginia about 1776, nevermind the fact they couldn't have survived the Texas heat!! We just bored them politely, and eventually they left.:rolleyes:;)

:funnypost

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Good pics, Rob, thanks - guess I missed your post, earlier - I just find it unusual that the pump is painted, plug and bypass fittings teflon-wrapped and installed, unless the po had prepped it for his install

So, guys - there's the shot for you to compare the HO 130gpm impeller to the wimpy 105gpm impellers on your stock wp's, upped from the 85gpm impellers in the 6.2L engine

·
Registered
84 Posts
Measure the impeller diameter on your pump, compare it to the new pump - if the new one is HO (and should be noticeably marked so) the impeller will be ~5/16" larger than yours

My point was that you should be able to get the HO w\p aftermarket - iirc, it's the '98 or '99 pump, rather than the '97 - the dual t-stat was the '97 upgrade
So my 97' does not have the 130gph water pump?:eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok now i'm confused.

gmctd.. are the stock water pumps for 6.5L 105gpm? I didn't know that. All the reading i've done on this board and the other board and i always thought my '95 had an 85 gpm pump. Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a HO pump sitting in my garage. I bought it from Auto Value, I asked for a 98 water pump. I had them bring out both and there was a big differance in the impeller size. I don't know if it has HO stamped on it but Auto Value here in MN has all brand new pumps and it is really nice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So my 97' does not have the 130gph water pump?:eek:

I didn't check on 97 I just had them lookup 98. You should be able to call up the dealer or parts house and have them look up yours and the 98 and see if they are the same part number. If not have them check 95 then you will know.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Ok, folks, my bad - other than that (and that's cause, enuff!), no cause for alarm - I used the 6.2L V-belt cw drive system on my conversion to get better airflow past the front of the engine (inherent design-problem with that-series truck line) - Pen had a custom hi-flow 105gpm cw waterpump made for their 19:1 6.2L (which prompted the 6.2\6.5 coolant system research), which I used on the 6.5TD, and I was jumbling the cw and ccw specs.

The original 6.5 CCW waterpump is 87gpm, upgraded in '97 to HO 130gpm - '98 supposedly saw changes to the water jacket in the heads, but noone has sectioned pre- and post-'98 heads to verify that - around that time-period they also moved from the 9-blade steel fan to the 12-blade composite fan, and the screw-on clutch design

The confusion is, some auto\truck emporiums list the 87gpm pump as '97, so always ask for the '98 pump to get the HO version - when you get it to the house, compare the impellers - that was why I asked for the pics - show'n'tell rules!!!

NAPA may be a little higher-priced (way less than MrGoodparts, tho), but they sell same brands as your oem equipment, stuffed in NAPA boxes - even has the GM p\n on the HO pump

So, if it's factory, look for the big HO, as in the pics - GM does running changes as necessary during any model year, so some '96's could be so-equipped

Feel free to question if it doesn't look right, as I sometimes forget and post data from my conversion, rather than your oem production-line equipment - also helps clean the cobwebs..............

·
Registered
537 Posts
OK, now how about this one. I spoke to Bill Heath the other day bout the new water pump kit he has listed (and was featured in diesel power a few months ago) and it coupled with that fancy T-stat of his, is supposed to cure what ails us in the cooling dept. It don't quite look like the pumps were used to seeing, but apperently a whole new design. He said with these, the balance flow was no longer nesessary (reference to a diff thread). This was my original question for him in the first place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bosch #99153 is listes for hummer and 98 pickup & suburban, couldn't find any HO marks, but noticed that's made in china..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts